M Offset Gears

Vinayak85

Hi,

I am running an Heidelberg M Offset Machine.
Unfortunately for me a few days back a few gears of the 3rd unit broke down. Total of 4 gears.

43.007.024 /01 =Drive gear
63.030.550 = Intermediate gear
MV.001.617 = Journal
53.997.027 = plate cylinder gear

The quote i received from Heidelberg was unrealistic.
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has faced a similar problems and found a solution for the same or where else can i source these gears from?
Any input will be appreciated.

Thanking you.

Hi,

I am running an Heidelberg M Offset Machine.
Unfortunately for me a few days back a few gears of the 3rd unit broke down. Total of 4 gears.

43.007.024 /01 =Drive gear
63.030.550 = Intermediate gear
MV.001.617 = Journal
53.997.027 = plate cylinder gear

The quote i received from Heidelberg was unrealistic.
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has faced a similar problems and found a solution for the same or where else can i source these gears from?
Any input will be appreciated.

Thanking you.[/QUOTE

I've found that any reputable gear shop can duplicate the gearing you are looking for. You simply have to bring them in for the pattern.

@junker1984

thank you for your suggestion. A small query though a few colleague of mine has raised the issues between the quality of the print vs original gears and duplicated one especially when it come down to the plate cylinder gear.

Really depends on the ability of the vendor you use to duplicate the gears. Given that they would have the original gears to use for a pattern, they should be able to turn out an identical set of matching gears for you. Just because Heidelberg Druckmachinen made it to exacting specifications in their gear hobbing/cutting facility, doesn't mean someone else can't do the same thing. I don't have a parts book to look up the gear positions that were damaged, but many of them have no timing or positioning involved. Problem would be the plate cylinder gear, as it will have to be located and pinned for "print begin", this holds true for a new one from the factory also, it will not arrive your shop with a locating hole for a taper pin. Let me guess, the damage was caused by a worn oscillator journal, pieces of the spring pin fell out and chewed up the inner plate cylinder gear and the surrounding gears? I understand your pain, I rebuilt a unit for one of my customers with this scenario, and I think it was well over $8,000 just for parts. Good Luck

Thank you for all your input. Yes the problem was caused exactly as you describe it.

My only cause of worry is since i am based in India not sure on the quality of the gear produced by duplicating however i shall still give it a try.

The estimate provided by you are accurate for the parts.

I shall keep you update on what i am going to be doing. Its a costly affair and sure does cause a hole in the pocket.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back