mac mini w/snow leopard server?

earl

We are currently using a power PC (10.4.11) version of Xserve. Since Apple quit making the Xserve a year ago, we are looking at replacing it with either a couple of mac minis with server installed, or a mac pro running server. Is anyone running the mac mini server? Is it adequate for a prepress environment (transferring large files). The Xserve is robust enough to hold our mail and network files for our company. Also, we have an attached RAID via Fibre, which I know is unavailable with the mac minis. We would have to settle for firewire 800 between server and raid.

I had a similar setup and transitioned to a Mac Pro with RAID card and 4x 2TB drives in a RAID5 configuration. For added redundancy I have that backing up to an external array.

It's really a shame that Apple dumped the xserve.

I use the mac mini server for our prepress
it is fine
they are very robust and can handle all small business needs
-- The new ones sport the "Thunderbolt" connection.

MSD

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back