Magnetic Material thru a C901

Happyprinter

Just wondering if anyone has tried or is having success running 12x18 11 pt magnecote or similiar product thru their machine. Before we purchased the machine the sales dept. told us that it could run it and we ran a few demo sheets thru it just fine. Of course, now that we've installed it and tried to run the sheet thru ours it runs one then jams 2 etc.. And of course we have had trouble locating our friendly salesman these past few days to find out proper settings and of course service says they dont have a clue. But, still love this machine. Great quality and a work horse. Any ideas would be appreciated. The sheets that we have gotten thru are beautiful.

I've ran the Magnecote on my C1 and it does print well for a couple of copies, I would not recommend doing more than a few sheets at a time as the stock seemed real dirty. The magnetic backer does not come trimmed well and the small specks of magnetic material will make its way onto the drum and show up on the next few consecutive jobs. The only solution for this would be wiping the stock down with a tack cloth and the edges as well to try and remove as much of the loose magnetic fibers as possible before running through your machine. I've done several runs on our offset presses and get much better results on runs over 200 sheets. If they could clean the sheets better from the mill, they would make a lot of us digital operators even happier!
Erik

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has tried or is having success running 12x18 11 pt magnecote or similiar product thru their machine. Before we purchased the machine the sales dept. told us that it could run it and we ran a few demo sheets thru it just fine. Of course, now that we've installed it and tried to run the sheet thru ours it runs one then jams 2 etc.. And of course we have had trouble locating our friendly salesman these past few days to find out proper settings and of course service says they dont have a clue. But, still love this machine. Great quality and a work horse. Any ideas would be appreciated. The sheets that we have gotten thru are beautiful.
We have run SRA3 Magnecote 11pt through several C901 and C900 engines with no real problems. What we did experience were several batches of Magnecote arrived where the magnatism ran in different directions (cut from a larger sheet I guess) which made it difficult / impossible for the separation rollers to do their job (the sheets were sticking to each other when you slid them on / over each other)
The UK importer took those materials away and suppied us with new stock that worked fine.

It's worth adding serval sheets of plain media to the bottom of the LCT tray to prevent the material from sticking to the bottom of the tray.

We did experience one Jam in the fuser on the C901 and the backing crumbled a little and stuck to the fusing belt. It was quite easy to clean off once the belt had cooled and it did not happen again or damage the belt.

I think it would be very wise to wipe / clean or at least check the condition of the material before settingit to the LCT as any contamination could damage drums, belts, cleaning blades etc..

The other thing I noticed when printing on a new batch of magnecote last week was that the rear side seemed to have a shiny / glossy feel to it (unlike previous batches). I think it now comes specially laminated to ease separation, it certainly ran fine with no Jams and we printed about 500 sheets in one run. I think we used Weight 7 Coated Matte as a machine setting, there was no need to call Tech for any special settings.

We have a 720 and have run the Magnecoat 11pt

The sheets we got were 8.5" x 11"
and yes, the edges of the stack had a lot of magnetic junk on the side which had to brushed off before running.

They had to be fed short edge and output to the upper tray.
The paper path to the upper tray has rollers that are closer together than the path to the stacker tray.
This combined with the 11" sheet length allows the sheet to be in contact with at least 3 drive rollers within the finisher at all times.
Otherwise it will stick to the metal guides the sheet rides on.

We were doing 8-up business card size magnets, short runs 50-100 sheets at a time, without jams.
FYI we used special 6 thick 3 and fusing was fine

I'm curious if others have run 12x18 and how it went...

@C900 man: I also noticed a change in the finish of the magnet side from when we 1st started using it

Last edited:
12X16.93 Magnecote

12X16.93 Magnecote

@Zwicker Press we were running SRA3 which is 12" X 16.93 and the results were as my post above.... no real problems to report.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back