Magnus 400 vacuum switch problem

mrltechservices

Hello,
I have a friend who started experiencing a problem:
When he loads a plate, it feeds half way in and then errors with a " Pump switch problem" and then stops.
Any ideas? It grips the plate on the drum. Then errors before imaging.Drum vacuum pump does not activate.
BTW, the system is down. Tried restarting, checked fuses,etc.
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
First of all what is the error message that comes on the Magnus?
Can test the Drum Vacuum from Utils-Hardware-Drum-Drum Solenoids-Vacuum. See it the Pump can be turned on. If not there could be a problem with one of the Solid State Solenoids on the Distribution Board in the Distribution Box.

Hello,
I have a friend who started experiencing a problem:
When he loads a plate, it feeds half way in and then errors with a " Pump switch problem" and then stops.
Any ideas? It grips the plate on the drum. Then errors before imaging.Drum vacuum pump does not activate.
BTW, the system is down. Tried restarting, checked fuses,etc.
Any help would be appreciated!

thanks patch.
We tried that, and no pump activation.
On which side is the distribution box?
does the board have to be replaced? Or can it be repaired?
Thank you for your input.

The Distribution Box is the one at the back of the Magnus where the Circuit Breakers are and the board is inside. If you can get a replacement than try and change the board or have a look visualy if you can see which of the Solid State relays has burned out. Make sure that first you disconnect the mains cable from the machine.

thanks patch.
We tried that, and no pump activation.
On which side is the distribution box?
does the board have to be replaced? Or can it be repaired?
Thank you for your input.

Hi, before you start to dissassembly your machine check the pump switch, the one close to main switch at the back of the Magnus. You wouldn' t believe how often it is a case.
Regards

LoWang,
I know that I should not "ASSUME" ( make an Ass of U and ME), but in this case I thought that the CBs were checked when the problem occured. The last thing I want them to start taking the PDB out of the Magnus.

Hi, before you start to dissassembly your machine check the pump switch, the one close to main switch at the back of the Magnus. You wouldn' t believe how often it is a case.
Regards

hi Sir,

Maybe the vacuum contactor is malfunctioning corroded? try to check the input and the output power of this contactor.

sir pach,

sorry for the confusion, it's a contactor relay.
contactor relay.jpg.
located at the back of the front door.

Pach,
After visually inspecting the distribution board, the Solid State relay at the top left of the board is badly burned.
In contact with Kodak trying to get a replacement. They are extremely difficult to deal with. Want to charge $ 150 to
" Verify" it is the correct part number even though the part department gave me the number!There is a revision on the board,
which leads me to believe it is a defective section on the board.

That is the SolidStateRelay that drives the Vacuum pump. Maybe you can source this localy and get a profesional work shop that they can replace the part.SSR (2).jpg.

Pach,
After visually inspecting the distribution board, the Solid State relay at the top left of the board is badly burned.
In contact with Kodak trying to get a replacement. They are extremely difficult to deal with. Want to charge $ 150 to
" Verify" it is the correct part number even though the part department gave me the number!There is a revision on the board,
which leads me to believe it is a defective section on the board.

Hi mrltechservices,

Kodak does not sell that solid relay as a spare part, they just sell the control distribution board, but as Pach says you can get the relay localy, if not you will have to change all Power Distribution Board.

But if your Magnus is a Magnus II and you have the same problem and everything is ok even the Power Distribution board, the error could be the vacuum contactor or the vacuum pump itself. remember this for possible future situation, you never know, but just for Magnus II, because Magnus I does no has the vacuum contactor.

Good Luck,

YR

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back