Making massive PDFs....

kdw75

I have received a few PDF files from a particular client that were around 5-8 GB in size. I will open them in Illustrator, in order to make a pretty minor change, color of object, or type, and when I save them I end up with a 50 GB file. Any thoughts on what might be doing this?

Maybe the font is embedded in the PDF originally and when you open in Illustrator it creates outlines for every single object since the font is no longer "embedded"? Just a guess, I'm no Illustrator wizard but it makes sense in terms of other computer programs.

I have received a few PDF files from a particular client that were around 5-8 GB in size. I will open them in Illustrator, in order to make a pretty minor change, color of object, or type, and when I save them I end up with a 50 GB file. Any thoughts on what might be doing this?
On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated …

What you are doing wrong is opening a PDF file in Adobe Illustrator to make “a pretty minor change!”

Adobe Illustrator is not, repeat not, repeat yet again not a general PDF file editor. Contrary to long-held public misconceptions, PDF is not the native file format of Adobe Illustrator. (Illustrator document objects and attributes are stored in private data areas not processed by Acrobat but inside a PDF wrapper!) The only PDF files that Adobe Illustrator can safely edit are PDF files saved from Illustrator for which the Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities option was selected (an option which is absolutely not available when saving as any PDF/X version) and (1) hasn't been edited in any way in Acrobat (or which any Acrobat plug-ins) and (2) for which all fonts used in the original Illustrator document are installed on the system running Illustrator. Anything else is a potentially lossy operation likely to cause corruption and/or loss of data and/or quality in the PDF file.

Quite frankly, other than font and color issues in general, the opening and subsequent saving of PDF files in Adobe Illustrator is probably the top cause of problems in PDF print publishing workflows that we encounter on both Adobe customer forums and other professional printing forums.

There are some simple safe edits that can be performed in Acrobat Pro itself. Other more complex edits require third party plug-ins such as PitStop Pro. And in many cases, you are better off to go to the original source documents, make the fix, and regenerate the PDF file.

- Dov

That's your punishment for opening a PDF in Illustrator!

Since everyone else already gave you the lecture, I won't say anything about the evils of what you're doing, but when you save the file, are you leaving the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" box checked? Unchecking that will usually result a much smaller PDF.

Without seeing the file, it's hard to tell exactly what's causing the size. We can speculate but having the file is the best way to diagnose it. If you have Acrobat Pro, you can use the Optimize PDF features to check the content of the file. Go to Optimize PDF. Select Advanced Optimization. Then select "Audit Space Usage". It will give you the info you're looking for.

Greg

The last couple times it has come up, I was under a tight deadline, so of course I didn't take time do do any investigating into the cause. I will have to go back to the last file and play with it, and see if any of the above suggestions help. I absolutely loved the demo of Pitstop Pro, but quickly realized I didn't have the time to learn it. I do plan to dig into it in the near future.

I absolutely loved the demo of Pitstop Pro, but quickly realized I didn't have the time to learn it. I do plan to dig into it in the near future.

Drop me an email with your details and I will send you some webinars, we are running monthly PitStop training workshops which are very popular. The 'Getting started with PitStop Pro' will probably be useful for you.

You can mail me at '[email protected]'

Last edited:
The last couple times it has come up, I was under a tight deadline, so of course I didn't take time do do any investigating into the cause. I will have to go back to the last file and play with it, and see if any of the above suggestions help. I absolutely loved the demo of Pitstop Pro, but quickly realized I didn't have the time to learn it. I do plan to dig into it in the near future.

I think that we have all been there, too deep in the trench/busy to learn to do something that we know is better – just enough time to keep on doing things (slowly) the way we know!

Stephen Marsh
nothanks.jpg

Attachments

• nothanks.jpg
    nothanks.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 196
Hi Guys (and maybe gals), Great things there from Dov, Andrew and Stephen. I also want to point out that a 5-8 GB PDF is not necessarily small. When ripped it can grow x4 so now your 8 GB file is 32 GB. While most RIPS can handle that, it's still abusive and if you're regularly throwing those file sizes at your RIP it may cause issues with speed and overall performance. Split it up and batch them if possible, or as was pointed out get the native file and recreate the PDF and make sure you set all your job options to create an optimized PDF. Maybe someone can post some of those Distiller settings? You know, someone who has more time than me!

Happy Printing!
Dwight

This is exactly why Designers/Graphic Artists and Prepress operators should have to take a test (aka pass the Bar) and be licensed!

Reactions: Joe

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back