Mass Transit

maas

A requirement from one of my clients stipulates Mass transit by Grouplogic as the exclusive FTP client to transfer files.

i normally use Putty or WS FTP Pro and would be interested to hear from those who use Mass Transit about the virtues that justify the price and SQL server requirement to manage the file transfers

regards
Maas

We use Mass Transit for large files that break when sending via conventional ftp. It was the solution that worked between the US and China or the UK for files larger than 300 MB.

The Mass Transit application replaces the chaos of file transfer with a managed process. Transfers with the browser method nets superior compression and with that speed. Received and sent files are managed with folders, email alerts are automatic, workflow automation easy to build in. Security is superior to FTP which may be what your customer is after. Customers who use it love it, if others can't be bothered then they just keep using FTP to the MT server. It's a great product that I have used for years.

I agree with most of srawding says. It does offer more than just a reliable send, and that is of value. As far as compression goes, though, it's not something that comes into the equation in our case: everyone ZIPs the package beforehand, particularly since we still use Postscript Type 1 fonts, which get damaged if you don't. By the way, it is slower than regular ftp, since all this other stuff adds overhead.
Also, "love" is a strong word, especially if you consider having to deal with the Group Logic sales force.

and the costs of it. It's not cheap. You may want to have a look at rumpus (Maxum Development) instead for an FTP server.
As for uploads, you may have to have a MT box at either end for transfers to work, depends on how it's all set up.

Similar to Steveco, we use MassTransit to exchange files between US/UK/China/Australis.

It has worked really well for us. The queue can get backed up easily, especially when sending several gigs - but all in all it's great.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back