Matchprint Inkjet 5542 - Edge Not Found

BRDPreress

I'm in a bit of a pinch. Our Inkjet 5542 has gone blind. when trying to load the roll of paper (and yes, I've tried multiple sizes) it refuses to read the edge of the paper. I've found the Lens Maintenance in the Utilities, and have replaced the lens with a new one fresh out of a sealed bag. Still can't get it to read. Has the eye itself gone bad? I can see the light shining out of it as it tries to read it. If so, is the eye even replaceable? It's our only printer for proofing jobs and the work will be backing up quickly. Any assistance would be AWESOME!!! :D

BTW: also looking for what system error (for the same machine) 010092 0310050d might mean?

IMHO - the eye is an reflective optical sensor - optocoupler: consists IR emitting diode and phototransistor.
In case of electronics - everything is possible!
And remember, electronics is the science of contacts :)
Check the plug of that sensor first!

I can't seem to find the plug for the little bugger. I can unclip it at the top of the mount, but can't seem to be able to remove it.

Covers and shields dismantle could help you.
Your task is to find thin 3 wires (as minimum) cable from the edge sensor to PCB and, using multimeter, to check the signal (DC Voltage) variations with and without a piece of paper over the sensor.
Emitting diode has to have a constant value (a few volts) and lit ON all time, photosensor reacts on a part of rays reflected from the bottom of paper sheet.
To reach maximum signal use a piece of aluminum folie. Small lense you replaced is installed for the same purposes.

After that you will be known - dead or alive your edge sensor is!

BTW, I've never seen that machine! I've just given you a common principle of diagnostics for such a kind of sensors.
Good luck!

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back