Matte aq coating

printr640

Anybody got experiamce with matte coating. It is new to me, is viscosity the same as a satin or gloss? I had problems with streaking

i found i had to stir it up pretty well before using it. also make sure the applicator hose isnt touching the bottom of the barrel. i find that 25-35 seconds in the #4 zahn and drier at about the same temp as gloss aq. works best for me.

the stuff scuffs pretty easily, especially noticeable on solids/dark solids. (the nature of the coating), so handle with care even after curing/drying

it is not the same. the glossy uv is not as good as the matte coating. It is too shining. And people could not write things on the glossy uv coated material.

It was explained to me that gloss varnish lays down a smooth layer. Matte has peaks and valleys similar to the acoustic ceilings in most houses. These peaks and valleys reflect light different and cause a dull appearance. The peaks are kind of fragile so when you rub something over them the peaks break creating a look of a scratch. This is why matte stocks and coating have very poor rub characteristics. Satin is between gloss and matte where satin has worse rub characteristics then gloss but not as bad as matte. Most commercial printers only offer satin and gloss aqueous for this reason.

When we used to use coating units with a nip roller application we almost always had streaking problems unless the pan roller was brand new. As soon as there were any, even slight ridges/bumps in the roller the streaks would show up. When we changed over to anilox application all these problems disappeared.

Unless you have an anilox system the matte will be hard to lay down smooth. Anilox works great on matte water base coating.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back