Less gloss on coated stock, Ricoh C7100x

Hi guys,

we recently added a (used) Ricoh C7100x to our printshop - the most laser printers we have are from Canon (the newest one being C9280 with Fiery GX400), but we badly needed something more modern, and the Ricoh seems to be a good choice - we do not regret the purchase.

Now, I have to figure out some settings. Will probably post new tread on a regular basis, so stay tuned! Now to the first issue, shall we?

On a Canon, wenn we set up a new Media, we can adjust the gloss level between -4 and +4, and in combination with a proper choice of base media (right weight, type etc.), we can really see the difference. -

Today, I made some tests on Condat Perigord 170g coated Paper - which is very, very matte, - and all results I get are very, very glossy. - to the extent that it is an issue because of the difference between paper and print. Is there any (good) way to get less gloss on a coated stock with this printer?

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Michael

Hi guys,

we recently added a (used) Ricoh C7100x to our printshop - the most laser printers we have are from Canon (the newest one being C9280 with Fiery GX400), but we badly needed something more modern, and the Ricoh seems to be a good choice - we do not regret the purchase.

Now, I have to figure out some settings. Will probably post new tread on a regular basis, so stay tuned! Now to the first issue, shall we?

On a Canon, wenn we set up a new Media, we can adjust the gloss level between -4 and +4, and in combination with a proper choice of base media (right weight, type etc.), we can really see the difference. -

Today, I made some tests on Condat Perigord 170g coated Paper - which is very, very matte, - and all results I get are very, very glossy. - to the extent that it is an issue because of the difference between paper and print. Is there any (good) way to get less gloss on a coated stock with this printer?

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Michael
You can adjust the fuser temperature in the custom paper advanced settings to change the glossiness.

You can adjust the fuser temperature in the custom paper advanced settings to change the glossiness.
Thank you msaeger for your prompt answer. Do you know what settings are realistic? How low can we go? We dont want to generate new issues (like when the unfixed toner gets stuck somewhere in the printer) by setting it too low. Right now, the setting is ca. 168 degree Celcius (ca. 334 F) for the fuser itself and 90 degree Celcius (194 F) for the Fuser Roller (yeah, there are multiple settings).
I tried to find any specific technical document from Ricoh on this - to no avail.

The temp is going to depend on the paper. I would just lower it 5 degrees at a time and see if you can scratch off the toner. You should just adjust the heat roller temp (the 168 degree one) you can adjust the pressure roller temp if you want but I wouldn't expect that to do much for this issue. I wouldn't do more than 5 at a time. I have found these things will go from fusing to not fusing at all over a small temperature adjustment.

The TCRU manual has descriptions for what all the stuff in the paper catalog advanced settings does.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back