MBM vs Duplo Cutters

tsprinter

I am a small commercial printer with both offset and digital production. I have an old Challenge 26.5" hydraulic cutter but think I can save a significant amount of labor by purchasing a new programmable cutter. I am evaluating the MBM Triumph 721 (28" for $25,000) and the Duplo 660P (26.5" for approx. $18,000). Any advice as to why the MBM might provide $7000 in additional value over the long term?

The Duplo 660p is made in china and has a pretty spotty track record. The MBM Triumph is made in Germany I believe and is overall a much better quality piece of equipment. Cutters definitely fall under the "you get what you pay for" category.

I do agree with jreuter.. The MBM Triumph 721 is much better overall quality. I would look at things like the safety features for example.. Notice, the Triumph has side sensors that extend all the way to the base (this machine will not run with hands in the way). The Duplo has a nice gap at the bottom of their sensor that COULD allow the machine to work... Also if you look at the machines, not only does the MBM look better, but it also appears to have an air bed, that would help speed along heavy and long runs (think air hockey table). It does not appear that the Duplo has that function. Also take in consideration things like the memory storage, cutting width, and the cutting length behind the blade.. The MBM wins every category. I dont really have anything against Duplo, but when I hear that name.. "quality" doesn't come to mind...

I looked at MBM, Duplo, Challenge, and Baum and decided to go with a slightly used Baum 31.5" (2008) over anything else new or used for several thousand less than what you're looking to pay. If you don't like noise, watch out for units that run the hydraulic pump constantly. The Baum does not. The cuts per minute are exponentially more as well. I even demoed a slightly used Challenge and had it returned because it did not perform how the salesman said it would. It could take some time to find a slightly used one, but definitely worth it.

If have a Baum cutter here and the real cutting speed UDC to BDC and backward is overall 1,79 seconds. This would be a bit more than 33 cuts per minutes – THEORETICALLY! This numbers are written down in sales brochures.
Wow Baum is the fastest.

If I cut from 11.5” x 9.5” on four sides down to 8.5” to 11” the Baum cutter I have here needs just for backgauge movement and cutting 20 seconds. Now you need some seconds more for the alignment of the paper. I would say you need for four cuts day in day out about 25 seconds. Now we are at 16 cuts per minute.
And this is just the beginning. You have to calculate the jogging and loading, as well the unloading. How long does this take? Is this a minute or more?

If you have a stop watch. Check the time for just cutting, including rotating and aligning. And then check the time you use for jogging loading and unloading.

Buying a cutter works different.

Buntpapier

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back