Memory leak or font problem in Acrobat 9

rich apollo

Found a strange one in Acrobat. If you look at the attached files you'll see the identical file as viewed in Acrobat 8 and Acrobat 9. "Use local fonts" is turned off in each. Guess which way it came out of the RIP.

I cannot find where Acrobat 9 is pulling the font from. The fonts all seem to be embedded (at least subset). I'm stumped, and am being asked a lot of questions.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Acrobat8.jpg
    Acrobat8.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Acrobat9.jpg
    Acrobat9.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 195
I had the exact same problem. exported from quark. looks fine in acrobat 9 looks like crap in anything else. just reloaded everything on the machine cs4, quark 8. no problems till cs4. our problem is only from quark and is fixed by exporting eps.

Last edited:
Found a strange one in Acrobat. If you look at the attached files you'll see the identical file as viewed in Acrobat 8 and Acrobat 9. "Use local fonts" is turned off in each. Guess which way it came out of the RIP.

I cannot find where Acrobat 9 is pulling the font from. The fonts all seem to be embedded (at least subset). I'm stumped, and am being asked a lot of questions.

Any ideas?

Post the PDF - without it any comment is just a WILD GUESS!

Here is the page in question. I had to extract it from the whole PDF, but the anomoly is still present.

Attachments

• Pages from Custom_CL21.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 210
Want to see something that throws another wrench into this problem. Use Pitstop to run an action list to convert all fonts to outlines. It now displays correctly.

If you run any of the font validation checks on the document using Preflight 9, or run a Font Inventory (again using Preflight 9), you will find that the ArialMT that is embedded in that PDF was done so incorrectly :(. It is missing a dozen or more glyphs (hence the boxes you see) and also has mismatched witdhs.

Can you explain how you produced this document? It was modified after it was created from CS4, was it not??

I even get the TimesNewRoman messed up on my Acrobat 7, but in Acorbat 9 it is fine.
Tried it through my Apogee system with Identical results as shown…

did what I normally do with this type of job. In Acrobat save as Postscript…Â*then drop the PS on the in hotfolder…Â*all looks as it should. (Apogee 5, but I done it with earlier versions)
it's not a publisher doc is it? ;P

Does it matter how the original file is produced? I can't control that - I have to work with what I'm furnished. Looks like the original, in this case, was created in some version of Quark and the PDF was created by PrimoPDF. My client receives it from their client and passes it on to me. This is one of 50-some odd versions for this project.

We take this piece and lay it up with the other elements (also PDFs) in InDesign and export to PDF. I've tried a host of different export settings, but to no avail. I'm finding more and more problems laying up PDFs and exporting from InDesign.

Had another file from the same publication that upon export yielded the undefined character for one font. Okay, went back to the original and outlined that font, reimported, re-exported - and then a logo dropped out. I need to find a dependable way to get these files out. Nothing seems as dependable as printing to file and distilling.

I'm toying with printing through the PDF Printer, but that gets pretty convoluted in the UI. Took quite awhile to figure out how to specify a location for the resulting PDF. And then the naming gets #$^&*(! up. The automatic naming of the resulting PDF contains an *, then the filename, then @, then the percentage at which you're viewing the file. So it looks like *LovelyFile.indd @ 75%.pdf. So, you end up having to alter the filename everytime as you did with Quark 6.

Seems you can't get rid of that * or the word [converted] when you open files in InDesign CS4.

Last edited:
Do you have a PDF workflow? (Apogee, Print Ready, Rampage) If so, why are you putting this file in InDesign to create another PDF? Is it because it's ripping wrong or what?

Have you tried opening the file in Illustrator? At that point, you could convert to outlines and be done with it.

Hope this helps.

I'm running ApogeeX, but it's InDesign that's torking the files.

Opening in Illustrator isn't really an option - to do that I'd have to have the fonts open on my system. I can outline the fonts with PitStop, but I'm trying to avoid that route.

Yes it does matter how the files are created. If you look here you see another thread about Quark and it's default JAWS PDF creator. Since your file works fine in Acrobat 9, I'd say get the files approved as PDFs then save as PS and drop on your hot folder, minimal work maximum reliability.

I'm running ApogeeX, but it's InDesign that's torking the files.

Opening in Illustrator isn't really an option - to do that I'd have to have the fonts open on my system. I can outline the fonts with PitStop, but I'm trying to avoid that route.

hi

If you want you can open the pdf in illustrator and vectorise it by using the inclosed fonts, you dont need them on your system.
1 you make a new page in Illustrator
2 you place the pdf and link it, be shure to link it!
3 you go to Object>Flatten Transparanties
4 you set the Convert all text to outlines

This should vectorize all your live text using the enclosed fonts

did what I normally do with this type of job. In Acrobat save as Postscript…�*then drop the PS on the in hotfolder…�*all looks as it should. (Apogee 5, but I done it with earlier versions)
it's not a publisher doc is it? ;P

And the reason this works is that you are rebuilding the PDF from the ground up - so that fonts can be reloaded from the OS and properly embedded in the first place.

Does it matter how the original file is produced?

Of course it matters, Rich! GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

We take this piece and lay it up with the other elements (also PDFs) in InDesign and export to PDF. I've tried a host of different export settings, but to no avail. I'm finding more and more problems laying up PDFs and exporting from InDesign.

Remember that InDesign doesn't "recode" PDFs - it pretty much takes what it is given and (with some exceptions, based on your export settings) basically just "passes it through" to the output PDF.

I can't control that - I have to work with what I'm furnished. Looks like the original, in this case, was created in some version of Quark and the PDF was created by PrimoPDF. My client receives it from their client and passes it on to me. This is one of 50-some odd versions for this project.

Then you need to establish some QE processes up front. Run Preflight tools like PitStop and Acrobat Preflight to check the validity of the documents. If they don't pass, then either send them back to the client _OR_ fix them yourself - but do it BEFORE you put the document into your workflow (whatever that workflow is).

I need to find a dependable way to get these files out. Nothing seems as dependable as printing to file and distilling.

Because, as I wrote in another message, you are completely remaking the PDF from scratch at that point - so you are going to get high quality PDF from an Adobe product. You can do the same thing, at a more refined level with PDF correction tools such a Acrobat's PDF Optimizer and Preflight, Enfocus PitStop, Apago PDF Enhancer, etc. Such tools can do more "focused" corrections instead of wholesale "blow it away and start over".

Any ideas?

So why is it that Acrobat 8 & 9 display the same PDF differently? Has anyone answered this yet?

I had a problem similar to this. I was told it was due the operating system I was running and the amount of memory allocated to the program. To this day I think that is a bunch of crap. When I worked prepress we would have sent the file to the customer and requested that all fonts be sent or that it all be converted to outlines(curves or whatever) in the native program. This is a customer issue and instead of banging your head against a wall you should contact the designer and see what the deal is on their end. My money is on they are using a freebie font that doesn't convert well.

Leonard, I can't control how the PDFs are made. I have to be able to work with what the client passes on. The file appears fine before it hits InDesign. What would I be looking for in the preflight? The fonts are in the original PDFs, albeit in subset form.

DFagen, I've got to combine various PDFs to build a new page and/or I have to reposition or resize.

4stateprint, no it's my problem. I'm two steps removed from the designer and I'm not going to win that argument. I have to figure out handle this on my end. I hate to go back to using the print command, but maybe that's what I've gotta' do.

Vee, nope. Nobody has answered the original question - why does Acrobat 9 handle this differently than Acrobat 8?

Last edited:
Well, here's another wrinkle - I exported to InDesign CS3 and exported to PDF from there. The resulting PDF looks correct in both Acrobat 8 and 9.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back