Men vs Women

MacTwidget

I just realized another thing that makes women, particularly mothers, smarter/better than men.
I've never heard anyone say, "My mom was the one who got me into printing."

I just realized another thing that makes women, particularly mothers, smarter/better than men.
I've never heard anyone say, "My mom was the one who got me into printing."

My Mom got me into printing. She was the bindery Manager at a small print shop in Montreal and would bring piece work home for me to do to earn some coin and got me summer jobs in the shop doing film, film stripping, coating plates and burning them for the press.
For that I am grateful.

LOL, actually my mother is the one that told my dad to hire me after the web bubble in the late 90 's early 2000. So ...

Well . . . I won't say my mom didn't get me into printing - but she agreed that it would probably make my dad smile (he was the production manager for the Detroit News at the time) when I took Printing 101 in High School back in the dark ages (1969) . . . and it's been a long hard road since then . . . . . . . . . . . .

That's spoken like a man typing with his wife looking over his shoulder!

Haha, that is *opposite* to how things should be read! :] And for the record, my wife was in bed asleep at the time.

Presuming that the original post was from a man, and looking at their profile I presume that Thom is male, then some may consider the OP to be biased and pandering to women.

My reply was unbiased and balanced. It simply recognises the fact that being “smarter” is not the sole attribute of women. Both men and women can be stupid, or smart. Then there is the whole bell curve thing. I did not even touch upon the “particularly mothers” or “better” parts of the OP, however while on that as both a man and a father – I frankly take offence to such statements.

Swap men/women for whites/blacks – how does the sentence read?

Stephen Marsh

...then some may consider the OP to be biased and pandering to women.
Swap men/women for whites/blacks – how does the sentence read?

Stephen Marsh

Wow.... another case of being too PC!
Lighten up Francis!

I am not biased or pandering to women. I am just stating what I have noticed in my career journey. I was also trying to interject some humor.
I just noticed that everyone that I've crossed paths with in my career that were introduced to the trade were done so by a father/uncle/brother.

My father was the one who got me into printing 27 years ago, Actually, it was me who begged him for a job when he was the prepress manager for a daily newspaper.

Don't get me wrong, this trade has put food on my family's table for a long time. And I do enjoy what I do, most of the time!
But I often wonder what life would be like if I had gone to school and got a degree, or even went into the military.

My mom told my dad that I was not doing well in college and wasting my time, so my dad took me to the print shop where he was a pressman and this is how I got into print industry. :eek:

Actually my mother knew my bosses wife and got me an internship decades ago.

I a mom in the printing industry, I've strived to keep my kids out of it!! But printing did put food on our table and a roof over our head!! For that I'm grateful!! :)

My Father was a hot type typographer. His bride to be, a proofreader. I was doomed either way.

You poor guy, all jokes aside I knew we were in trouble 35 years ago when all the print magazines started pushing women in the business. not because it was women but because the guys were not serious, they did it for promotion rather than promoting the good women that were in the industry.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back