Microwavable Soy Based Inks

ROCPrinter

Has anyone printed packaging that would go into the microwave (2-3 min) using soy based inks?

If so, what ink vendor? Special blacks?

We already have a good aqueous coating solution and substrate. Just investigating ink options...

Your feedback is appreciated!

I assume offset litho?

If so, general everyday process inks and spots that are heat resistant (many are today, check with your tech) should work without incidence.

Above all, TEST.

D Ink Man

Yes, litho. Thanks for the info! Our ink supplier (a large national one) seems unsure. That was my first resource, Print Planet is my second. I'm just looking for someone who has experience printing microwavable paperboard cartons and if they use UV or soy inks. We would prefer soy....

Thanks again!

I nose the large national ink companies, and I nose they are unsure, cause I nose they sold off their technical prowess, in favor of some grandiose computer (do everything) software program.

And I know sir that you can trust my advice and experience. I shall not provide falsehoods. I sir was one of the sell offs sacrificed in trade.

My advice is to have some reputable (if any are left) ink supplier with a qualified inside/outside technician to perform the tests that are required to assist you with your endeavor.

Project: Pull proofs of the subject inks with and without the aqueous coating on your substrate. Then, vary the dwell time and conditions that best meet the conditions to your final dynamic print product. Have that ink supplier submit a formal exhibit showing the results of the TESTING.

If you have difficulty finding an ink company/supplier that will perform the aforementioned tests, please reply further and I will guide you to that company (that'll "GET 'ER DONE").

The SAP's will not beat the tried, proven, employment driven and congenial partnership of TECHNICAL SERVICING that made our industry (both print and ink) great and profitable.

Seems easy to me sir.

D Ink Man

The correct answer is:
If this is microwavable products for human
consumption and you want a defensible position for your company
you need to perform Migration, Headspace, and Sensory Perception
Testing at Rutgers or Integrated Paper Testing in Appleton, Wisc.

A. Run paper through press without ink or damps on
Cut a 7”X7” square out and wrap in aluminum foil, tap closed
date, sign, and mark through press
B. Do the same with just the damps on and mark damps only
C. Do the same with just the ink on and mark ink only
D. Do the same with press printing and mark printed

I would be careful with your blanket and metering roller wash. I would
insure you have filters on your compressed air to remove any oil.
I would insure a clean environment. I would insure compliance
with Toxics in Packaging (metals).

Soy ink means nothing, if you stink up a product or migrate regulated
toxins into a product. You probably do not have ample insurance for
the consequences. Example: put a printed paper board in your
microwave and turn on the microwave for 1 minute, open the
door and see if you smell anything. The anything could result in
a recall.

Integrated paper testing http://ipstesting.com
Rutgers http://foodsci.rutgers.edu/aboutUs/mission.html

Anybody involved with food, cosmetic, medical, pharmaceutical packaging would know outside verification is required.

Last edited:
Green printer, great information. Most likely more info then what roc printer had been given by his ink company.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back