Money Maker

Cory Smith

176-Money-maker.png

Show me a printshop that doesn't have something written, printed or smudged on the back of each sheet of their everyday notepads and I'll show you a printshop that never needs to trim down a job.

Back in the day I used to tell creatives to get a copy of the imposition layout for their jobs from the printer. Then, usually at minimal extra cost they might be able to use any space in the off-cuts to run goodies like XMas cards or promo pieces. I also advised printshops to use that extra space to run tests that they could use for future jobs. E.g. If they were printing a presentation folder using a spot color - a very typical situation - then run a step wedge to see how the spot color works as a screen tint. Put that info into a database that can be accessed when future jobs come up using that same spot color.

gordo

Show me a printshop that doesn't have something written, printed or smudged on the back of each sheet of their everyday notepads and I'll show you a printshop that never needs to trim down a job.

Anyone else have notepads floating around the shop padded upside down? I do! :)
when your padding up 150,000 notepads, if 3 or 4 get padded upside down, you don't mess with trimming and reglueing...

Gosh! 20 years back my employer was doing this.

We were a book printers and had a book shop in the front.

Pads sold for £0.10 each.

My place of work actually gets paid more for the waste now from a waste collection company - fully installed industrial compactor, waste paper taken care off and taken away each week.

I did have a job this week that forced me to print in a SRA4 print area on a SRA3 sheet digitally.

This was due to the final trim size on the job being 15mm x 25mm (our guillotine did not come back far enough), so we used the subtraction method on the guilly to cut from the back edge in minus amounts. This enabled us to get the finished size we needed but we did have waste.

It was an after-thought that we should have put another job on the outside edge(s)!

It was also a one-off run but if it had been an often repeated run, we certainly would have printed another job on the same sheet!

Haha. Yeah, just what we need - more scratch pads! We still have pads with our old company logo that has been revised twice since they were printed. Add that to what the paper guys bring and the last thing I want is more scratch pads.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back