My print job smells like ink

Cory Smith

Just had a complaint from a customer that their print job smelled like ink..I really didn't know how to respond to that one..

her quote was "it smells really inky"

Anyone else have some classic customer quotes?

Re: My print job smells like ink

" I didn't know that it was going t o look like that"

After several proofs were sent and signed off.

This would be a great business if it weren't for the customers.

But we do use low odor inks on some of our printing (stuff that can absorb odor once packaged in the printed material).

Edited by: G_Town on Nov 16, 2007 2:53 PM

Hey Cory, reminds me of when a customer complained that the job "stinks"...
not even "smells like ink", just "STINKS"
I think they ended up taking it, but it was a chuckle!

Back in the good old days, when we could smoke on the production floor, we used to get
complaints from a couple of clients that their jobs smelled like cigarettes. I never felt
very bad because the jobs they ran were primarily bulk mailers and were going straight
to the landfill anyway.

Maybe you should invent a potpourri paper and/or ink. Let customers choose weight, finish, color AND smell.
"I'd like my job printed on white, matte finished 80# text with an evergreen scent."

lol...we could be the 31 smells of printing...mmm...butter pecan business cards

Probably told this back at PPF, so if you've heard it, move along...

Had a rep from another printer pick up bluelines for a job we were running for them, and after he looked them over in the shop, left. Seems he stopped for lunch at a nearby deli, then came back to us about an hour later. "Hey, those bluelines you gave me were bad, I can't see them any more." Huh?

Sure enough, he takes them out of the manila env and they're totally exposed. Turns out, he left them on the front seat while he went in to the deli to eat. Had NO idea they'd be ruined!

we picked up the job last week and sure enough they do smell...It was so strong people in the office were getting sick.

So far we have spread a few out in the hopes of getting some air to them, really don't want to reprint this job. Was an 8/6 job with custom diecuts and embossing.

Who hasn't had proofs come back with someones lunch stuck to them?

Used to worked in a mid-90's service bureau.

Clients would regulary ask us to check trap on a single colour job.

That one always stuck.

oh had a customer (actually an ad agency) back in the 80's that found a typo on a job on press, since it was final composite film and fairly complex there was really nothing we could do.

All of us were standing around a light table pretty much telling the client we couldn't fix it when she (the person from the ad agency) screamed, and quite loudly, SOMEBODY FIX THE #%$@&MN THING!!!

She never came back for a press ok after that.

A couple of months ago I had a customer complain about the proof we sent them. The exact comment was... no joke...

"all of the sixes look like upside down nines"

we were a little dumbfounded, and it has become a running joke in the plant when performing QC to say "everything looks good except the W's look like upside down M's" or "why do all the lower case d's look like upsides down p's?"

-Bartman

Funny Stuff guys!

> {quote:title=Corys8646 wrote:}{quote}
> we picked up the job last week and sure enough they do smell...

Uncoated paper?

> {quote:title=kabel wrote:}{quote}
> Uncoated paper?

Yup..still sitting in our hallway. think we decided to store them and deliver when they need a box.

Re: My print job smells like...you don't want to know

About 15 years ago I worked for an outfit that would print pretty much anything. So we get this one job, right? (I'm in the camera room, trying to figure out what kind of specs the saleman gave these people. ) The copy was on cardboard, of all different sizes. Sticky with wax, or so we thought. Sure enough, when we flipped the copy over, we saw the lettering--"Tampax". For backing, the customer had used an old tampon box to put their "camera-ready" copy on.

We held the job VERY delicately, after that... and laughed our asses off when the customer picked the job up.

Edited by: plategirl on Dec 21, 2007 3:23 AM

Big time high pressure customer okay (we were printing his product for the first time!) It was a 4C process forest scene with evergreens & mountains in the background of a check. The usual suspects are up at the press watching the initial product come off the press - customer, plant VP, salesman, floor supervisor and prepress. The pressman is getting agitated because everyone was in his way as he is running back and forth of the web press making adjustments...I know this pressman and he is a total wiseguy so I knew it would not be long before he retaliates! We are all looking at a sample when the plant VP (senior member of the group) puffs out his chest and says to the pressman; "Turn up the green in the trees! They look washed out!" (Loudly to show everyone he is in charge) The pressman runs up and down the press looking in the CMYK ink fountains and returns with a bewildered look on his face and sarcastically exclaims, "I can't find the green ink fountain!" The plant VP had a stroke on the spot, the salesman was embarrassed and the floor supervisor walked away shaking his head. The customer laughed his ass off and all the tension was gone! Some customers can actually be very good about things! He loved the checks that we printed and it was a great account for a long time. MK.

I had some moron call me the other day and ask if they could bring in thier laptop, connect it to the 6-color press, and print 5 color copies directly from thier computer!

> I had some moron call me the other day and ask if they could bring in thier laptop, connect it to the 6-color press, and print 5 color copies directly from thier computer!

Wade: If it could only be that easy!! Thanks for the laugh!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back