Need Advice: Creo Synapse Prepare expiring 12/31

diversions

I found this forum today while looking for information on a work issue. We've been using Synapse Prepare to turn our Quark files into print-ready PDFs for about 3 years now. (as long as I've been working here) We switched printers this spring, however, and it appears our version of Prepare is "branded" and will expire at the end of this month.

So, since it seems I'm the one delegated to figuring this out, I need to decide what to do. I checked out Kodak's site, since they bought Creo years ago, but they haven't responded to my information request. I'll probably call them today.

In short, I just thought I'd put his out there for advice. We're a regional magazine that usually runs between 112 - 128 pages monthly. We're still using Quark 6.5 (bleh) and (thankfully) our new printer also uses InSite for uploading the files. I didn't know if Kodak had a new solution that replaced or incorporated what Prepare did, or if there is a more viable alternative. I realize our Quark might be an issue with newer PDFing software, but those budgetary decisions aren't mine to make. (though hopefully we'll upgrade Quark soon, with some convincing)

Sorry for being a bit vague or inarticulate, but I'm also under a production crunch as we speak. :rolleyes: I made the post in the Kodak area in hopes that someone familiar with their newer software could pinpoint my solution. Also, I asked my printer months ago and they were very little help. He seemed to think I should manually PDF everything from Quark, but then I'd still want PreFlight software to check. Prepare has been great since it both creates and PreFlights.

Last edited:
Though not a Kreodak solution, you could create presets in Quark to print to a .ps file and use an Acrobat Distiller watched folder to generate the PDFs. Using one the PDF/X formats as your standard would be a very safe bet.

Since you are PDF based, you could use a tool like Enfocus PitStop Server to automate the Preflight via hotfolders. It can create reports, and even auto-correct on the fly. Although you shouldn't need that if you are using a PDF/X format.

If you don't need server based automation you could preflight in Acrobat Pro, that would do the job.
I don't know the price for the Kodak solution - but I'd bet the PitStop Server route would be cheaper. And we all know our bosses love cheaper. Especially these days. Just a few ideas for ya..

The problem with Quark to PDF is they are postscript base software, so, even if you upgrade to Quark 7, when you tried to output PDF, it need to convert it to postscript first then distill to PDF which means you have to flatten your file. So, most of the transparency effect from Quark 7 will turns out useless because you have to flatten all the effects. I always asked my customer to stay away with transparency feature in Quark 7 because it will not output to print without problem. I guess Adobe really want to kill Quark, so, they are pushing PDF for printing and add more crazy feature in it that will require everyone to upgrade their RIP in order to print it.

Anyway, Enfocus PitStop Server maybe your answer, you may also consider EskoArtwork (Enfocus' parent company) Odystar PDF automate workflow too. It is a full blown workflow with automation and based on native PDF format up to 1.7. Go to www.enfocus.com and Packaging and printing pre-production solutions - EskoArtwork to find more details and ask for a demo.

I've heard rumblings from Kodak over the last year that a new version of Prepare is in the works. It probably won't help you unless your new printer is using it, though.

If you want to automate your preflighting and PDF creation you could try Instant PDF from Enfocus. It's very similar to what Prepare does. I think it runs around $300 per seat

The cheapest solution would just involve using Acobat. As Vee mentioned, set your Quark prefs to export .ps files into a Hot Folder. Set Acrobat Distiller to watch the hot folder and process any files into PDFs. You'll have to adjust your export pdf/ps settings to include bleed and crops as your printer requires.

Then set up Acrobat preflight profiles to match your preflight requirements (PDF X1-a is probably a good place to start, although your printer may have their own requirements). Once you have the preflight settings created you can save them as a preflight droplet that lets you drag and drop PDFs on it to check.

So the final workflow would be to export .ps out of Quark (with the correct output settings) then drag the distilled PDF from the hotfolder into the preflight droplet to check for problems. If the PDFs pass without problems, then upload to your Insite account. It's not quite as seamless as Prepare, but it does use software that you already own so it's easier on the budget.

Shawn

First off - thanks for the replies! Very helpful.

I downloaded the EnFocus Instant PDF demo, but it looks like it requires Quark 7 or 8. (we're still in the 6.5 Stone Age) This is a problem, but one that needs fixing anyway. I'll try to point it out in hopes that we can do a few upgrades at once.

Synapse Prepare is basically a re-branded Enfocus Instant PDF. But Instant PDF is better maintained, supported and more flexible overall.

Mentioning that fact is what got me kicked out of the Creo Users Association group... Apparently someone at Creo didn't want that known.

Let me know if you want a demo.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back