Need advice on index tab machinery

brent

Need advice on index tab machinery. Our trusted bindery is 2 hours away, and slow on turns, so we are considering going it on our own.
Most jobs are smaller runs of 250 sets or less, on 8.5x11, typically 1/5 cut, no re-inforcement.

But we are seeing increased inquiries about short runs of custom stock, digital jobs, and even custom sizes and shapes of the tabs, such as squared vs. the usual radiused. And re-inforcement capabilities might be a good value-add.

Looking at this through the eyes of experienced guys who run real iron, any thoughts on breakdown/setup times, knife/die costs, limitations of size or thickness, maintenance schedules, etc. would be appreciated.

I believe the one I really liked was made by Southworth. I will make a call Monday and find out. It did a good job. Not letterpress quality on the edges but very good none the less.

I don't know what else you farm out that would involve a letterpress but a Windmill is certainly something to think about. I nabbed one off Craigslist last year for less than a grand and it came with everything the guy was using including the Stone. It was in a shed and that made the rigging tough but none the less. Unless someone made a change they do require 3 phase. I am always a fan of purchasing equipment that does not lock you into one one type of processing.

JW

Index tab equipment

Index tab equipment

Need advice on index tab machinery. Our trusted bindery is 2 hours away, and slow on turns, so we are considering going it on our own.
Most jobs are smaller runs of 250 sets or less, on 8.5x11, typically 1/5 cut, no re-inforcement.

But we are seeing increased inquiries about short runs of custom stock, digital jobs, and even custom sizes and shapes of the tabs, such as squared vs. the usual radiused. And re-inforcement capabilities might be a good value-add.

Looking at this through the eyes of experienced guys who run real iron, any thoughts on breakdown/setup times, knife/die costs, limitations of size or thickness, maintenance schedules, etc. would be appreciated.

Brent,

I have been in the tab business for well over 30 years and own a large tab shop. The best machine, bar none, is the Scott Ten Thousand, even though Scott recently closed. There are plenty of parts available and a lot of service available if you need it.

If you are going to make tabs get a machine that can apply mylar and cut at high speed. The Scott gives you the option of a plain tab or a mylar tab. If you need a different shape tab you can get a die for around $2000.00. There is no sense in limiting yourself to making just one item with a machine that won't put mylar on at the same time. Scott's set up quickly and are incredibly efficient.

We run 5 of them daily and have 2 more for sale. If you are interested, we would even offer free training to you or one of your employees.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss in person. I'll help you even if you aren't interested in one of our machines.

Thanks,

John Steffens
817-261-8227

I would agree that if he is just looking at something to only do tabs then yes something that can apply Mylar could be validated if he thinks there is a market in his Arena to justify having it. It is something out of my league as the Tabs I use to see Manufactured for Book Binding has long since gone to the wayside due to Manufacturing cost. But I am just speaking of my experience only. The machine I am talking about may be a Scott Tabbing machine without Mylar application. It did a really good job.

JW

Last edited:
hi does anybody know of any second hand scott rhp edge reinforcinfg machines for sale ?i am from Ireland and looking for one
thanks

Dear Brent:

I have a used E-Z automatic tabbing machine here for $29,500. It uses heated platens rather than heated rollers, which are used on The Scott 10000. Heated rollers can play havoc with digital stock.

Please call me at 877-BINDERY or e-mail me at [email protected].

TY

David Spiel

Hi david ,thank you for the reply,
It is the reinforcing of the holes that we need and not the tabs ,

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back