I need some sound advice

Muddy

Hi everyone. First timer here so please be gentle.

I own a very traditional commercial offset printing company. We've been in business since the late sixties and have enjoyed some very successful years. Because of this we haven't been very enthusiastic about fixing what ain't broke. Over the last couple of years I have seen a bit of a downturn in business and more importantly I've seen a real shift in print buyers needs/desires. Gone are the longer run lengths. Print is becoming very commoditized as we are all producing essentially the same quality work and because of an over abundance of offset presses in my market (Mid sized Canadian city) the prices are constantly being driven lower and lower and lower as we all chase the same jobs. I am very well aware of the need to differentiate yourself and sell something of value beyond the ink on paper thing; to become a solutions provider, sell your process and not your product all that stuff but this not what this post is about.

I'm going to make some fundamental and monumental shifts in my company. We are going to explore options for producing print in a different manner than we do now. I'm convinced that we must turn to the digital print world to not only thrive but to survive. I've been actively researching toner based production (which we kind of play at now with a high end copier) as well as what I call "digital offset presses".

My first impressions have been that with toner based production you are really not offering anything more than the guy next door (notwithstanding service, process etc) except perhaps a lower price. I do however recognize that you need to have this offering for your present customers who need this service. I see us having a need to continue to supply this kind of stuff. In addition to the desire to jump into the Digital Print World, I also have a 4 color offset press that needs to be upgraded as it's growing very tired. Because of this I need something with offset like capabilities in terms of longer run lengths, wide range of substrates and the ability to run short run work and mid to long run lengths as well. I really like the quality I've seen and frankly it seems much easier to achieve the level of quality that we expect much more so than our present offset press.

Some things I've been looking at are

Kodak NexPress
Presstek DI
Indigo
Xerox technology

The DI is intriguing because it seems the most offset press like and is easier for me to understand. The others seem sooooooooooooooo overwhelming that I don't even know where to begin and how to really look at these things.

I should add that I'm looking for something that offers a point of uniqueness in it's product offering and believe that will be the success of what I bring here. I am visiting a National Trade Show in November and want to be well armed when I arrive there.

I'm not sure exactly what my question is here other than I'm looking for some unbiased and sound advice on where to begin. It really does seem overwhelming to me and I would really appreciate someone who may be willing to take me a little bit by the hand and push me in some sort of direction. That may be a bit of a big ask, I realize, but if this was a musicians forum or a hockey forum I would be willing to help someone with a similar dilemna with their music and hockey questions (hey, it's all I really know)

Please someone get me started. I would be forever grateful. A trillion good karma points would be headed your way.

Thanks in advance.

PS. If a private conversation would be better please PM me and I will gladly give you a call

Well I advise you to look at the cost of the DI plate material.
It is expensive in that you need to buy the plates from Presstek only.
Sure there are vendors out there that say they will sell it to you but it doesnt work!

Indigo is probably going to be closer to offset quality with digital versatility.
But you will have a click charge & that can add up quickly.
Bottom line I think it is important to have a variety of devices so you can basically handle any job thrown your way efficiently and cost effective.

Digital instead of DI

Digital instead of DI

It seems to me that Digital and DI are in the same price range. However, with Digital, I can do more with that. I can do one-to-one pieces -- addressed, etc. without the need for another step. For that reason alone, I would go with Digital Printing over DI.

Look at NexPress, Indigo, and iGen if you have volume to support those devices. If not, you should probably look at midvolume models -- but don't expect the same robustness as the high end presses. Definitely get pricing and comparisons from all 3.

It's Not about Hardware

It's Not about Hardware

Greetings,
None of the digital options currently available will offer the image quality of good offset. However, they will allow you to enter new markets including very short run printing (about 85% of the digital marketplace) and personalization (about 15%). You should consider any of the toner-based solutions because there is competition among vendors. Indigo is nifty technology but there is only one supplier and you will be a captive.

The biggest challenge for your company will be adapting to new products and workflow. You will be selling a communications service, not a manufactured product. To make this a viable option, you should consider adding ancillary services such as design and mailing to offer a single-source solution to your customers.

We have been a happy Xerox customer but I am looking to upgrade and will consider Canon, Ricoh, and perhaps some others.

Good luck with your search.

Greetings,
None of the digital options currently available will offer the image quality of good offset. .
Agreed nothing like an offset sheet, say coated with stacatto.

Check out the 3_ _ _ series Indigo's
You can use the color on them for proofing if set up correctly.
Screening is on the stressed out side but gets closer than your basic copier based printer.

Having said that most print buyers have a different call for quality.
Except for a chosen few corporate clients they are happy with your run 'o the mill toner based print.

Muddy,
You have the weight of the world on your shoulders with deciding which direction to go into the digital fields being shoved down our throats every day. You must not only deal with a mechanical beast but also the pre press end, the rip software and so many other factors that are not only overwhelming but expensive.
If you are a true offset printer, you are use to high gloss oil base ink that looks like a mirror; you will not find that with DI a machine. It is dull and looks like a typical copier produced sheet. That is why they push the AQ and UV add ons.
Presstek does not make the DI, Ryobi does. Presstek only peddles the lasers and plates that you must purchase from them or risk being not a favorite customer let’s say. It is an extremely proprietary machine. Plus expensive to install and maintain. Service contracts are like major $$$$$$. Rollers are also. Do your home work man.
There are a ton of used DI’s for sale so consider that option also. The DI takes operator cleaning also.
Go with a small toner based unit and get your feet wet. In this economy try not to be a slave to any company but yours. Just ask pertinent questions like after the warranty what does service cost? How much are rollers and consumable’s etc.
A true offset press prints a beautiful sheet; I have yet to see a digital machine match that quality.
Good Luck
CYMK

I really appreciate everyone's quick and thoughtful responses.

I agree with the sentiment that being a traditional printer that this will certainly be a huge adjustment to what we do and how we do it. I''m not completely sold on any particular technology.

CMYK mentioned about a used DI and I'm OK with purchasing used equipment but in my case it needs to be used from a vendor who offers training and support because we are entering a new area for us.

Can anyone suggest some recommended unbiased places to read and gather information about the decision making process that surrounds this sort of thing?

I can't tell you how much a I appreciate the responses.

Like you mentioned, you need not just a Digital Press like the guy next door. I think you need to differentiate yourself from the rest by providing unique applications, an avoid a price war.

Definetely talk to Xerox, as it is one of the biggest players in this arena. Besides the full array of Digital Presses, including the iGen (which you MUST look), Xerox has a full set of Business Development tools that will help you enter the digital world.

Check this out :
ProfitAccelerator Helps You Grow Your Digital Printing Business

There are so many proftable digital applications today. For instance, Direct Marketing :
Direct Mail Printing Solutions and Direct Mail Software : Xerox

Muddy,
Just a quick question you need to answer yourself. Do you have the volume for an iGen or Nexpress? All the manufactures are first in line to tell you how great their biggest and best is, and how you can afford it as long as you are doing X, but when your monthly payment rolls around it hurts! I fork out almost $7,000 per month just to keep an 8000AP on the floor. My advice is to make sure you have then volume BEFORE you get in over your head with another payment.

I am in the midst of the same quandary. I am currently investigating the Presstek DI, Screen Truepress 344 (a DI) and H'berg SM52 Anicolor. Presstek and Screen are similar price. H'berg has huge price diff.
I'd be glad to tell you what I have found as strengths/weaknesses if you want to PM.

Less inclined to go with HP or Kodak, etc because of issues already debated.

We are a general commercial shop in NC with a variety of customers and the same price pressures everyone else is feeling.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back