Need feedback from other printshops...

Why bother using an AM screen. Go stochastic and get rid of rosettes, screen angles, graininess, etc. and deliver presswork that looks contone - just like your proofs.

I'm with Gordo on this one. If you're going to go to the trouble of creating process control for 300lpi then just switch to stochastic.

Is this "quality improvement" something that your customers require and are prepared to pay for?
I hope it is not just another freeby. Sometimes our industry is our own worst enemy; we produce a far better product than is required for the end purpose.

Is this "quality improvement" something that your customers require and are prepared to pay for?
I hope it is not just another freeby. Sometimes our industry is our own worst enemy; we produce a far better product than is required for the end purpose.

As a point of interest, about 80% of newspaper flyers and telephone yellow pages in N America are printed with FM screening at an AM screening equivalent of about 300lpi. There are enough lithographic and economic benefits to the printer (forget the benefits to the customer) to warrant the high effective lpi and any associated implementation costs.

You are fortunate that your competitors who do FM screening are lousy marketeers.

Years ago (in the film age) we did alot of FM screening jobs, and had great success. Our process control seems to have been working. Then once we went to CtP (Agfa violet) we had little success with FM screening. I was informed by Agfa that our platesetter was simply not capable of doing a very good job of FM screening. Since then, we have switched over to Kodak thermal plates with a Kodak Trendsetter, and I am quite certain that it can do a great job of FM screening. This thread has gotten me interested to experiment with FM, once again.

-Sev

300 lpi

300 lpi

Gentlemen and the Pre- press Brigade,

A PDF - An example of 300 lpi Halfone Repoduction/ Lithographic Printing 1960.

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• 300 lpi repro 1960 302.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 201
  • 300 lpi repro 1960 # 2 303.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 189
Gentlemen and the Pre- press Brigade,

A PDF - An example of 300 lpi Halfone Repoduction/ Lithographic Printing 1960.

Regards, Alois

1960s? - heck, they were doing 300 lpi and continuous tone printing back in 1900.

Here we are in 2014 and printers get wobbly knees thinking about going finer that 175 lpi. Sheesh.

This is purely my boss wanting to see what we can do.....
I'm against it personally, but told him I'd put the question to the lot on here and see what the consensus is.

In the UK most printing is done at 150LPI on older presses - this is because everyone is broke and cannot afford anything better.
The more up-market (and there are very few of these) run 175 to 200 LPI or FM. The best I have seen is a Heidelberg hybrid system that runs AM in the skin tones and FM in everything else - produces stunning magazine covers.
The marketing wheeze for the higher line screen printing is often called High Definition Printing - they tell customers it is like the difference between ordinary TV and Hi Def TV and they charge a premium for it.

oddly enough, that answers some of my questions from a different thread.

soo wish we could get away with that here in the US...

Hello, I'm the lead pressman in a shop that has committed to running 20 micron stochastic. it has worked out wonderfully. It's paramount that the prepress and press work together to achieve great results.We used the G7 method to set the curves, our prepress person does a good job to ensure plate consistency. My part is to make sure the press is in proper working order at all times.The most important part for us is that everyone got on board to make it happen.Ya gotta believe.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back