Need help deciding between Xerox 242 and Konica 6501

FPAG

Hi Everyone. I am new to this forum and am looking for some help deciding between the 242 and the 6501. I am starting a new digital business and will begin small, with only one printer, but hope to add another in a few months. I have heard that the 6500 had more down time, and that the 242 has problems with curled paper. I have also been told that Xerox provides better support in promoting and marketing digital printing. I apprieciate your expertise and thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Since you are starting out small your best choice would be the DocuColor 242. The high quality and simple UI make this a great first step into digital printing. It has outstanding image quality (2400 dpi) , great media latitude (up to 300gsm) and a selection of professional workflows from EFI, Creo and Xerox.

Your best bet is to get a list all of the applications you want to perform, know they types of media that you want to use and the volume you want to print to month. Once you have these items contact a Xerox rep to have him/her recommend the best choice of controller and finisher.

You are not really comparing apples for apples, the 6501 is a more capable machine than the 242, but they are not in the same price bracket. The comparable machine in the Xerox price range is the 700 and (apart from the handling of coated stock where the 6501 has more options) they are very, very similar (this is not a coincidence!). I know that other people have posted about problems with the 700 & I can't speak from personal experience, but I would be surprised if you went far wrong with a 700 as long as you get the TSG.

Of course, if someone is offering you a 6501 system 7 at the same price as a 242, then you should bite their arm off (after first very, *very* carefully reading the small print of the contract).

Final thought - there's a lot of good information about the strengths / weaknesses of the Xerox 2xx range on this forum. If you haven't already read it, make sure you do.

BTW, we have both machines, the 6501 and Xerox 250 (leaning towards an 8000AP Gold as the next one later in the year).

I have also been told that Xerox provides better support in promoting and marketing digital printing.

As for what it concerns the choice, the selection should be made also on type of jobs you plan to run, paper you intend to mostly use, ... X242 is like over half cheaper if I am rght, so I agree with Ifelton, you should compare apples to apples. X700 still has severe problems with consistency on coated stocks, the good improvement of this machine are the paper decurlers. Konica has the most wide selection of suitable papers, since it can use a lot of offset type stocks.

Xerox provides support in promoting and marketing mainly to preffered partners, who run digital production printers (and 242 is not in this class). This starts for users from DC 5000 up, I am still waiting them (for the 4th month now) to let me know if it is valid for users of X700 as well :).

I guess a DC242 is a good machine to start with, (or DC260 if you wish to come at the KM speed), as long as registration is not very important. Colors are pretty ok, machine is easy to use and service.

Hope this helps.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back