Need help in making a choice

Hello All,

I could use some advice at several machines for mono printing, if any of you has experience with one of the following machines, please submit your findings. Im thinking about buying one of the following:

• Ricoh Pro 907EX (or 1107EX)
  • OCE Varioprint 4120
  • Xerox 4112

Any advice is welcome!

Depends what your needs are. For example:

> What kind of documents do you deal with (internal/external audience)?
> For your most frequent work: How many pages per set? How many sets per job?
> How many pages per month on average?
> How many pages per month at peak periods?
> What percent of your work is print vs. copy?
> What kind of paper does your work require?
> What kind of finishing does your work require? (Booklet finishing? Cover insertion?)
> Is unattended run-time a priority (that would call for more gezintas and gezoutas)?
> Is ability to self-service the machine important?

I could go on, but that's a start.

Thanks,

Steve

Hello Steve, thanks for your reply,

The machine will be operated by my collegae and myself. We will mainly print books on it with different amount of pages, some 200 others 400.
The first few months we expect to print around 100k A4 pages, after approx. 6 months this will be 200k-250k with peak periods over 600k pages a month.

We mostly use A4 paper on this machine and about 75% of the workload will be printed, the other 25% copies. Booklet finishers are always handy, but will probably do them offline.
The machine must be able to keep running unattended for a few hours.

Hope this gives some answers to your questions,

Thanks

Hi Rubydragon

Firstly, I agree with keeping your finishing offline, if you have the facilities offline.

I'm a great Océ fan, with one caveat - these machines don't enjoy standing around doing nothing - they must be kept busy to run at their best.

We are currently running KM 1050's for the work you describe, and they are EXCELLENT. They also don't like being idle, but to a much lesser extent than the Océ's

Having said that, how one experiences a machine is often largely dependant on the quality of service. (Lousy tech service can really ruin a great machine)

I have the Ricoh MP9000 (same as 907) with 14mm on it and I will tell you that it is a service nightmare at that volume.

We have 2 4112's with the booklet makers and cover inserters. We have had them for about 2.5 years and have been very happy with them. the one next to me is at about 5Million clicks and it's sister is around 7Million. The one with 5 mil actually did nearly 1 million in it's first month 75% of that was 12X18 inches.

The Machines are Identical and we have them spec'd as follows
Large Capacity side drawer (12x18)
Saddle Finisher & Cover Inserter
Fiery External Controller

Things we like.

Quality is excellent, especially if the file is setup correctly
Jobs Spool and Print very fast
The machine is very reliable
The large paperdeck let's us run 4 up 6X9 books

Things we don't like
If the photos are anything other than grayscale quality suffers.
The stitchers are a PIA to setup for the tech so If you have issues, they are reluctant to have to reset EVERY Setting
Xerox billing is always "interesting"

Overall it's been the best B&W machine I've run. That includes a 5390 & 6135

Ray

Thank you all for your advises and experiences,

To X33: The book machine look promising but very expensive over here, I've been doing some research on those machines and they often got for €100k . (approx $140k) - which is only the book machine.

To Rikkie: I've heard more positive feedbacks on KM machines, its just that I've had 2 very bad ones with them so I try to keep them outside.

I suppose most of you have a service contract along with the printers, Im just curious how the contracts looks like in USA and other countries, how much do you pay per print?

Tracy c

Tracy c

I would put any of Konica Minolta's products against them all they will blow them away, I used to work for Ricoh and now I am with Konica Minolta was tired od loosing business to them they have this part of the market totally captured. Give me a call and I'll set up a Demo for you. Where do you live?

Thanks
Tracy Crosby
[email protected]
832-467-5173
281-216-0127

I would put any of Konica Minolta's products against them all they will blow them away, I used to work for Ricoh and now I am with Konica Minolta was tired od loosing business to them they have this part of the market totally captured. Give me a call and I'll set up a Demo for you. Where do you live?

Thanks
Tracy Crosby
[email protected]
832-467-5173
281-216-0127

Appreciate your feedback but I rather don't work with KM again, I've had bad experiences with them. Besides I live in the Netherlands. - Europe.

We've got a 4112 and have no complaints. Our local (and regional for that matter) techs are great. Never been down for more then a couple hours and that would be a rare occasion. The biggest problem we have had for downtime is when the imaging drum or cleaning web suddenly gets to end of life without warning but they have finally left spares for us to change ourselves even though those components are supposed to be changed by techs. Just about 2 years and 3.5 million clicks. Unless you get the large roll out stacker you'll only get about 40-70 minutes of run time (8.5x11 double sided sheets) until the standard offset stacker fills and needs emptying (holds about 2000-2500 sheets)

Love Oce's as well, we had 3 3165's. Not many features and at 65 ppm was slow but did they ever like to push paper and as someone stated sitting idle was the hardest thing on them. To this day I still think there are some prints they did better then the 10+ yr newer 4112. We are also retiring a 13 yr old Oce 9400 have put very little repair money into it since it was bought and only upgrading because we need new functions.

Hello All,

I could use some advice at several machines for mono printing, if any of you has experience with one of the following machines, please submit your findings. Im thinking about buying one of the following:

• Ricoh Pro 907EX (or 1107EX)
  • OCE Varioprint 4120
  • Xerox 4112

Any advice is welcome!

Dennie,

As a tech that's factory trained on both the Ricoh 907/1107/1357 as well as the Oce' Varioprint line, I'll offer up my experiences on both.

Ricoh: I have an 1107 and a 1357 side by side that both have 1.1 million after 9 months and they're running flawlessly so far. Here's where they shine - they're the quietest machine I've ever has in a printshop. All the drive systems are run via stepping motors instead of one main motor & gears/clutches, so clutch failure is a thing of the past. Toner - you slip in two massive bottles and you're good for a couple weeks. These bottles are about half a meter long each and feel like several kilos.

When maintenance has to happen, the tech replaces units and then rebuilds them after the fact, so the downtime is kept to a minimum. I have yet to replace any feed tires after 1 million (standard pre-feed, feed & sep tires). There's a 500k pm, a 750k pm and a 1.1 million pm; I just do them all at 750k. Yeah, this drives parts costs up a little, but I believe the fewer intrusions are worth it.

If there's a jam (surprisingly not often) you'll find the paper path was designed for Japanese hands. It can be a little bit of a squeeze to get your fingers into where you need to go. However, the Oce', in some cases, requires you to actually remove chunks of the internal components to clear jams. Very time consuming.

Oce': Had a VP6250 prior to the Ricohs and we loved it. The speed & registration are unmatched in the segment and they have the potential to do long runs without any work. 'Potential' is the operative word.

Very, very, very loud. If it's in the back of a print shop, no big deal. If it's anywhere near the workstations, you're gonna struggle to hear conversations. There are no swappable maintenance kits, so each unit is rebuilt at the time of service. Because of the heat they generate and the way they're designed, going from running to tech mode to do a bit of work and then back to running will take much longer than Japanese boxes.

Ricoh, you can replace a lot of the components as a user. Oce', not really. The Oce' system requires the tech to have a laptop with proprietary manuals, and several software keys to hook up to the machine and make adjustments. If the laptop fails (or you want to fire Oce' for lack of service) you'll not be able to find anyone else to work on it. With Japanese boxes, manuals are readily available and you can download them yourself. The few parts that you can replace on an Oce' are a tough to access and, like stated before, requires excessive downtime due to cooling/warmup.

The toner in the Oce' comes in 1 liter bottles and it takes six to fill the machine. If you're not careful, you're gonna wear some of it. They've had this design since I started working on Oce's in '96 and I can't believe they haven't come up with something better.

Since it uses two print engines running face to face to do same-time duplexing, the registration is awesome. Since it uses two print engines running face to face, the complexity of the system makes for increased repair times. Honestly, going back to the Ricohs, with the old school duplex system hasn't been as difficult as we thought. No real jamming issues and speed doesn't really seem to suffer.

We were really concerned when our bosses went from the Oce' to the Ricohs but found, quickly, that our concerns weren't warranted and we love our new machines. Oh, I'm an on-site tech for a Media Center, so I have no real allegiance toward either, beyond which one makes my job easier as a tech.

Oce makes a great product. We've never had problems with our printer with the exception of the first few weeks we had it, but this was a user error.

Tracy c

Tracy c

Sorry to hear that. we are in over 70 countries and sure we could help you. But I can only speak to the USA organization I am in Houston and it is the #1 marketplace and service team with KM in the US...good luck I know I would consider OCE before Ricoh though they just can't hang.

Tracy

Sorry to hear that. we are in over 70 countries and sure we could help you. But I can only speak to the USA organization I am in Houston and it is the #1 marketplace and service team with KM in the US...good luck I know I would consider OCE before Ricoh though they just can't hang.

Tracy

Thanks Tracy, I will visite Oce and Ricoh this friday to compare some of the color and b/w prints. I'm quite curious about the differences in quality between the printers.

Those Ricoh's are still babies. I literally have 14,200,000 on a single MP9000 that is just over 4 years old. My tech was here for 6 hours today chasing down jams. I have gone through 3 duplex units because I have actually wore groves into them from the volume. I have put as much as 960,000 on it in 1 month, my service guys hate me. If your volume is 200,000 or less I'd say go for the Ricoh, if you plan on growing over that then look at something else.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back