Need Help with my Final Exam!

shbmedia

Hi all,

I'm a New Media Publishing Undergrad student at the Rochester Institute of Technology and I am struggling a bit with my Print Production Workflow final exam. Don't worry, it's a take home final and my professor encouraged the class to seek out resources of any kind to help us, so I'm not cheating by asking :D

Anyways the question I'm truly stuck on is as follows-

Explain how expected dot gain ranges for the following paper grades, be sure to mention which has the most dot gain and which has the least, and why.

Grades 1-2
Grades 3-5
Uncoated(groundwood)

I already know the basic idea that uncoated absorbs more ink and therefore has the most dot gain, but I have no idea what grades 1-2 and 3-5 are exactly. Any help would be appreciated.

Also two small second questions I could use help on is which two print manufacturing processes are used to print trading card wrappers and then the text on pills, such as the word Advil on advil pills, my best guesses so far are flexography for the wrapper and inkject for the pill.

Thanks for any and all help!

the grades are probably the ISO 12647-2 grades

the grades are probably the ISO 12647-2 grades

I assume the grades are those in ISO papers.

Second sounds reasonable, may be digital or inkjet for pills, I know many digital printers are selling towards med industry.

Last edited:
I could give you the answers, but I would suggest you go to ECI [ECI.ORG]
then go to the downloads section and download the ICC profiles eci_offset_2009.zip file. This file contains the ICC profile for each of the paper grades, and it also contains a PDF file for each ICC created. These PDF files explain what paper types are. I am not sure how if there is dot gain information included; i don't remember so.

cymbal crash

cymbal crash

well, yes, the paper industry is the paper industry.

I always love to look at the crazy chart found here and wonder "why"

it is paper - can we come up with a simple language to even describe it, we have been using paper for a few thousand years...

Paper Weight - Conversion Chart

why i oughta....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back