Need to know of Screening

sureshdhami

Dear Friends,

I need to know that how many kinds of Screening there in the offset field ?

Can any one send the detail of the Screening it will be a great help.

Regards
Suresh Dhami

There are two main types Halftone (AM Screening) and Stochastic (FM screening) but under these two general umbrellas there are many subsets - a hybrid system also exists. Gordo's blog covers most of it if not nearly all of it.

It is important to know that each vendor has slight differences in their approaches (dot shapes, angles, dot size, algorithms and formulas). Esko's Concentric halftone screening and Heidelberg's* Megadot screening are two examples of proprietary screening technologies only available from those particular vendors.

Heidelberg's Introduction To Screening Technology Book I have found this book (a printed version can be purchased through Heidelberg) extremely useful in the past with educating people on offset screening.

Last edited:
Esko's Concentric halftone screening and Heidelberg's Megadot screening are two examples of proprietary screening technologies only available from those particular vendors.

Just a small clarification. Megadot screening is/was licensed by Heidelberg from Megadot Systems Limited Wellington, NZ. I'm not sure that the company is still in business though. The Megadot patent expired in 2005.

best, gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back