Need to purchase a scanner - seeking recommendation

Stickman42

As the title says... I'm in need of an 11 x 17 flatbed desktop scanner. The task is mostly pulling covers off perfect bound books and scanning them flat for digital reproduction (no separations). Hence the need for something larger than an 8.5 x 11 scan glass, but a very high resolution isn't a must. I would use our Versant 80, but it's old and the scan feature gives us color that's too far removed from the original. We'd like to work the scanner directly from within Photoshop running on a Mac Mini if it's still possible. Is there a specific protocol I should be looking for? I haven't dabbled in this since I first heard about TWAIN about a decade or so ago.

Any recommendations on what to look for are appreciated.

PS - budget is about $500, can go higher

The most important thing you can do is buy VueScan.
Not many 11x17 scanners around these days.
I'm running an Epson V500 with a transparency adaptor and 8.5 x 14 max.
- Make sure the scanner you buy will work with VueScan and they will support it FOREVER - besides giving you fantastic options for your scans.
YMMV

Last edited:
FWIW - I think using a digital camera (esp with an about 100mm macro lens) would give you better results with fewer PShop edits needed.
You could even use your phone.
Here's a quick sample handheld using my phone:

Mac.jpg

Last edited:
At my previous job we had an Epson 10000 the maximum image area was 11.2x17.2. The current version is 120000XL I would look for a used model. Our used 10000 went for about $600 about 2 years ago.

Another suggestion to consider - go with a smaller scanner and use the stitch feature in Photoshop to join the images together. I know pro artists who do this when scanning or photographing large artwork and they swear by it.

Thank you all for the input. Does anyone scan directly into Photoshop? That's what we currently do and would like to continue if at all possible.

Not sure if you are aware, but you should be able to scan direct to a folder over smb….that’s how I used our j75 scanner anyway. Not sure that a $500 flatbed will be any better. Taking a photo is probably the next step up, I’ve done this with success for unscannable objects.

And if you were wondering I have no affiliation with Hamrick Software.
Just a multi-decade satisfied user.
I can not stress enough the importance of using their software.
Every single scanner I have owned in the last 30+ years went unsupported by the manufacturer at roughly 5 years.
Every single scanner that VueScan supported then - is still supported.
And then we get the feature differences which are amazing.

As the title says... I'm in need of an 11 x 17 flatbed desktop scanner. The task is mostly pulling covers off perfect bound books and scanning them flat for digital reproduction (no separations). Hence the need for something larger than an 8.5 x 11 scan glass, but a very high resolution isn't a must. I would use our Versant 80, but it's old and the scan feature gives us color that's too far removed from the original. We'd like to work the scanner directly from within Photoshop running on a Mac Mini if it's still possible. Is there a specific protocol I should be looking for? I haven't dabbled in this since I first heard about TWAIN about a decade or so ago.

Any recommendations on what to look for are appreciated.

PS - budget is about $500, can go higher
Have you tried recalibrating the V80 scanner?

If you can go higher, I would go for a full frame mirror-less digital camera with at least 35 MPix sensor. A decent APO/Macro lens of at least 50 mm focal length may be added later on.
You may start with a simple tripod but once you are comfortable with the results you should install the camera on a solid Repro Stand with even LED lighting.
A solid, old darkroom enlarger can serve as a base for this stand.
Bear in mind that for high quality results you need sharp reproduction of the small type on back covers, that means sharp reproduction at 600 dpi - otherwise 300dpi is fine (de-screening may have to be done in PS).
BTW, my experience with some older Epson A3 scanners (GT-10K/GT-15K) is that color reproduction quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Again, thank you all for the responses. Just wanted to update the forum on the progress/outcome:

I almost went with an ~$500 Amazon 11 x 17 scanner that supposedly has 2400 dpi. Free returns made the idea of giving it a chance was attractive. The absence of a VueScan driver for the model (and the manufacturer completely) made me think I might be wasting my time. The Epson scanners mentioned were around, but more than I was looking to spend on them, even used ones. New ones are $5k+. The camera suggestions were certainly interesting, but the setup seemed to be more than we wanted to put into this since our scanning volume is very low.

So, back to the V80 with the calibration routine we went. We ran a before and after test and determined that the quality of the scan meets our needs. The V80 is still on a service contract with Xerox, so I figure I'll leverage that as much as needed or possible.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back