Negative PDF

margadri

I need to pick your guru's brains!
I often have to output drip off varnishes from pdf supplied by the client who has only the varnish over the pictures.
I need the opposite.
I used to be able to print to pdf as negative of the varnish plate.
I had varnish everywhere outside the boundaries but it was better than going through each page and create the drip off with pitstop.
Can't do it anymore with PDF writer or save as postscript.
I can but it has errors that don't let me distill nor refine in Prinergy 7.
Such as this
%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: Adobe_AGM_OnHost_Seps ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

How do you guys do?
Thank you in advance
Adriano

This should be possible to create using an action list in PitStop Pro/Server.

Can you post an example PDF file?

Stephen Marsh

Just to be clear, the sample PDF is the end result? If so, do you have a copy of what the job is like as originally supplied by the client?

Stephen Marsh

Just to be clear, the sample PDF is the end result? If so, do you have a copy of what the job is like as originally supplied by the client?

Stephen Marsh

Sorry. I supplied you a different example.
This is the original file supplied by the client.
In this case I still need the opposite varnish (in this case for the gloss varnish) than the one supplied by the client (Matt)
I have the same problem when I need a drip off.
Sorry, couldn't find quick enough a sample for that drip off I mentioned in my post.

Interesting one, I've attached a test file and an Action List that makes the changes.
You'll need PitStop 13 update 1 with the cut/copy/paste functionality.

It uses a reverse color curve to create the negative, and in order to do that the Action adds a background of 0% of the original spot varnish color.
There are several places you will need to adjust the spot color name to make it work with your particular files, bear in mind these are kiss fit as well.
Both varnishes are both set to overprint in the Action List as well.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 255
Interesting one, I've attached a test file and an Action List that makes the changes.
You'll need PitStop 13 update 1 with the cut/copy/paste functionality.

It uses a reverse color curve to create the negative, and in order to do that the Action adds a background of 0% of the original spot varnish color.
There are several places you will need to adjust the spot color name to make it work with your particular files, bear in mind these are kiss fit as well.
Both varnishes are both set to overprint in the Action List as well.

Thank you abc.
Unfortunately we only have Pitstop 12, but you gave me something I can work on.
Really much appreciated.
If I get it to work, a big jar of Vegemite is on it's way to Brussel. Thank you:eek::eek::eek:

I actually thought of another easier way to do this. I'll going to have a play, and if it works out I will feature it in the PitStop Monthly workshop later today.

I actually thought of another easier way to do this. I'll going to have a play, and if it works out I will feature it in the PitStop Monthly workshop later today.

Looking forward for it.
Thank you
Edit: I registered to the workshop but I realized after it is on too late for Australian time.:p:p
Would you be so good to post the answer also here?

Last edited:
If you registered then you'll get the recording, it's a bit too long to write it all here.
We have a lot of Aussies who get involved, so welcome aboard.

A bit confused as we create negative plates without any problems in Prinergy. Maybe I am missing something, but can you not create a varnish plate with the correct knockouts and then select Negative Print in the Device tab of your Prinergy JTP when processing.

A bit confused as we create negative plates without any problems in Prinergy. Maybe I am missing something, but can you not create a varnish plate with the correct knockouts and then select Negative Print in the Device tab of your Prinergy JTP when processing.
Wouldn't make the whole plate negative, inking the lot?
Printers would kill me!
Thank you for the input though.
Sometimes I miss the obvious :p:p

If you registered then you'll get the recording, it's a bit too long to write it all here.
We have a lot of Aussies who get involved, so welcome aboard.
Just finished watching the recording.
Brilliant!
I didn't know about these workshops.
I wiill try to watch more of them.
Thank you

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back