Neon colours on grey

essaichay

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on packaging for a personal project, and was wondering whether neon colours printed on uncoated grey board (Gmund cotton in "New Grey") would dull significantly? As an example: PMS 618 U printed on board that is the shade of an 80% tint of Cool Gray 1 U. Or would the printer have to use white ink then overlay the neon spot colour on top? Slightly confused.

This will be my first time using a neon colour for print so I don't know whether I have to consider anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me!

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on packaging for a personal project, and was wondering whether neon colours printed on uncoated grey board (Gmund cotton in "New Grey") would dull significantly? As an example: PMS 618 U printed on board that is the shade of an 80% tint of Cool Gray 1 U. Or would the printer have to use white ink then overlay the neon spot colour on top? Slightly confused.

This will be my first time using a neon colour for print so I don't know whether I have to consider anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me!

It might work if it's being screen printed otherwise it won't. In offset, fourescent (neon) inks are fairly transparent and white is more or less like vaseline i.e. Not very white or opaque.

It might work if it's being screen printed otherwise it won't. In offset, fourescent (neon) inks are fairly transparent and white is more or less like vaseline i.e. Not very white or opaque.

Gordo, Opaque White has worked well for me in several situations. I've used it on uncoated colored stocks, vinyls and clings. Even a metallic (reflective) silver stock. In my experience is has been both white and opaque.

Gordo, Opaque White has worked well for me in several situations. I've used it on uncoated colored stocks, vinyls and clings. Even a metallic (reflective) silver stock. In my experience is has been both white and opaque.

Ditto what MacTwidget says. We have gotten excellent results by printing both process colors and spot inks over Opaque White. We print vinyl record jackets on different substrates, including metallic and holographic stocks, and the results have often been stunning.

Printing anything on grey uncoated board is a challenge thats why they coat it . . . that being said we had a customer that wanted to save money on a point of sale project and wanted to use C1S Board for the project since the back side was just going to be black - we had it printed on a 60" press with a heavy 4color black and then still had to go hit it again with black and it still came out mottled and not a very black - that side of the stock is just like a sponge no matter how much ink you pour on it, it wants more. . . good luck

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back