new Adobe Acrobat DC

wonderings

So Adobe released a new version of Acrobat yesterday. They are calling this one DC. Completely new layout, not sure what I think of it yet, still playing with it. Thankfully it did not remove the previous version of Acrobat, so if I do not like this I have the Acrobat Pro 11 still around.

The one big plus for Acrobat DC for me is the speed, it is much faster then Acrobat 11, though still not as fast as it should be. I am on a 5k iMac with 24 gigs of ram and Acrobat is a real dog (along with indesign and illustrator), especially comparing to Apples own pdf viewer Preview.

Interesting! In another thread, it looked as if installing DC removes XI and according to Adobe, they don't support multiple instances of an Acrobat installation.

hp

Very weird, I had an error message pop up when it installed, but when I looked in my application folder I saw both new and old Acrobat. Maybe a glitch allowed me to have both. They both work, have used them back and forth with no issues.

If you install Acrobat DC via the Creative Cloud app as an update to Acrobat it removes Acrobat XI...according to Adobe anyway and it did for me. I suppose if you use a stand alone installer it might not. I was able to get them both installed by downloading the Acrobat XI installer and installing it separate from Creative Cloud after installing Acrobat DC and they both now work.

If you install Acrobat DC via the Creative Cloud app as an update to Acrobat it removes Acrobat XI...according to Adobe anyway and it did for me. I suppose if you use a stand alone installer it might not. I was able to get them both installed by downloading the Acrobat XI installer and installing it separate from Creative Cloud after installing Acrobat DC and they both now work.

I used the Creative Cloud app to install this, that is how I knew it was available.

Can't explain it then. Myself and a lot of others have had the same thing happen on running the update for Acrobat DC. Even Adobe says it will remove the old version.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-trial-removed-previous-version-and-plugins.html

I had some error the first go around when I tried to install, it would not do it. I shut everything down and restarted and ran the install from the CC app again. This time it worked, though at the end it had some error again. I did not take a screen shot or even read it as I was to busy to focus on an installing app at that moment. When I was in my application folder I saw the Acrobat DC folder and saw that it had installed DC and Distiller while the previous version was still there. Guess I just got lucky. Would be nice to always have the option of keeping the previous version as well as the newest.

Buy yourself a lottery ticket. You are on a roll! :D

And yes I agree it would be nice if it let you keep the older version. The bad part is that with this update they don't even warn you about the calamity that is about to happen you.

So Adobe released a new version of Acrobat yesterday. They are calling this one DC. Completely new layout, not sure what I think of it yet, still playing with it.

Please do post your feelings as you spend more time with it.

The one big plus for Acrobat DC for me is the speed, it is much faster then Acrobat 11, though still not as fast as it should be.

In what specific area? Our experience is that it launches and opens PDFs much faster than any other PDF viewer, on any platform. It also scrolls, pans, zooms, etc. more reliably as well.

Please do post your feelings as you spend more time with it.

In what specific area? Our experience is that it launches and opens PDFs much faster than any other PDF viewer, on any platform. It also scrolls, pans, zooms, etc. more reliably as well.

Is there any option to configure the print preview box or the entire print dialog box bigger in Acrobat DC?

I installed both on my iMac, 2013 model, and I think I could learn to like it. I just need FusionPro to release a compatible version.

Got the new one installed and if left the old one . . . .?????

still looking at the new one . . .

Got the new one installed and if left the old one . . . .?????

still looking at the new one . . .

Installed the update, which erased XI, so then I downloaded and installed XI again. Now I have both.

If you install Acrobat DC via the Creative Cloud desktop application, whether on Windows or MacOS, it silently uninstalls the currently installed version. If you have a separate installer, it gives you the option.

As previously noted, Adobe absolutely does not endorse parallel installation of multiple Acrobat versions due to interactions with system components (drivers, browsers, etc.) and other applications which allow for only one interface with Acrobat.

- Dov

Hi Dov,

Quick question. Moving forward, will Adobe continue to update 2014 apps or will there be 2015, 2016, etc. versions? If the latter, why?

Thank you,
pd

Installed the update, which erased XI, so then I downloaded and installed XI again. Now I have both.

Anyone knows if you can have Acrobat 10?
If I have both Acrobat 10 and XI, is DC going to uninstall both or just XI?

Dov, is there a way to change that God awful light gray background in Acrobat DC to a more smoothing dark gray?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back