New Digital Device and VDP Software Advice

DJ Kepley

We currently have a docucolor 250 with the external fiery and we are possibly looking to upgrade. We are transitioning into a marketing firm and we are doing alot of vdp. I would love to have suggestions for the next best machine and or software that we should be looking at.

Thanks in advance.

If you are looking to stay in the mid-range of digital presses I would look at the Docucolor 7000 or 8000. If you were looking to move in the higher range of presses take a look at the Kodak nexpress, HP Indigo, or Xerox igen

The good thing about purchasing a Xerox they will bundle in XMpie (VDP Program) at a extremely reduced rate

Hope that helps

I would suggest you start with the software. For your needs the machine is simply a tool to output your requirements. Your main limitations will be the VDP software. Once you pick that that will help you choose if a Fiery or Creo or Xerox Freeflow or Micropress or any other will be your best rip. Then which devices can run that front end and meet your quality/ speed requirements. While there are a lot of VDP programs they all have specific strenghts and weaknesses. If you start there you should have a much better end results of upgrade. If you start from the vendor you'll see what jowidder mentioned... a product they want to push (no offence jowidder)... while they do bundle xmpie... the "reduced rate" is usually in the sales positioning... it all boils down to the deals G.P. Also xmpie could be vastly to expensive for what you'll do verse something like Print Shop Mail. Further if the Creo is the front end for you they already include VDP.

Hope this help's.. Good luck on your search!

thanks

thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. We were using printshop mail, but we have recently switched to using design merge with quark. Our local xerox agents are pushing us toward the 700.

Creo of Fiery

Creo of Fiery

We are currently using the external fiery, but I know that we don't use it to it's full potential. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of the Creo.

stuffed if i know, lol, i looked into it ages ago and thought it was a good way to go, but i cant remember the reasons. I know that creo will deal with xmpie tho

PrinttShop Mail is entry level VDP.

If your transitioning to a marketing company you need to keep your eye on your future software as well as hardware considerations.

There are a ton of VDP solutions out there, all with pros and cons. By moving in yhe direction you're moving you have a much better chance to get out of the 35 cent color copy BS and use VDP to build value AND all important profit.

Your hardware/software requirements should address the high points of your Marketing plan now and going forward. Xerox has some good VDP solutions, Canon has a ton of partners too. Not so sure about K-M partners

Good luck to you in your journey into the vdp world

a Xerox 700 with Fiery or CREO front end will do the job. it depends on which one you are more confortable with.

Ask your Xerox rep about the current CREO offer. I believe CREO is offering a free license of Darwin (their VDP software) to anybody that buys a Xerox/CREO rip in the U.S. before the end of the month. It does not come from Xerox, it comes directly from CREO.

If you prefer to stay with Fiery, ask for a license of XMPie uDirect.

you can check demos of both online.

I think you need to consider what applications/products/services you want to offer before you start selecting software. "VDP" is a broad term that can mean many things - the software you have now is a nice plug in that can do a lot - why do you want to change? Do you want to add image personalization, purl software, web-to-print - these are all apps that a marketing services firm can offer - and even print on your current device.

Your choice of products and services will guide the level of rip you need with workflow and processing speed options. Also, if you'll be printing variable on both sides on heavy stocks you'll need a production level printer from someone - no way you can do work and turn with variable in a production environment. The Xerox 700 can only handle up to 80 lb. cover for automatic 2-sided work - again, depends on the work you'll be doing.

What are your plans?

If your happy with the quality of your 250 then the 700 is for you but if you want better sharper images and fine screens for the money you wont go wrong with the 5000
Xmpie is stonking by the way but you cant beleive how sloooow personalising images can be. Even using a top of the range quad pentium processor / 4 gig ram / twin raid terabyte drives, AND dropping the image to 200dpi as the tech support suggests your still looking at about a minute per A3

VDP solutions

VDP solutions

Hi, its a lot of different VDP software solutions out there so it is a big hazzle to find out whats best for you. DesignMerge is also a common and good sw like also xmpie or Fusion Pro is. One of my more easy favorites is DirectSmile or DirecType if you are on Mac. So back to engine and rip. I think if you are in the lower end of the light production segment 100-150 000 prints per.mnth the best rip solution today is from Fiery, the Creo is more for graphic use. For the engine its a lot to choose from but my tip is to make a test VDP print file and go to the vendor and test it. Measure rip speed, engine speed etc and check the quality , in that order.

Regards Kire

We have a 700 and FusionPro (as well as the web storefront), installed for about 6 months, but it took us a few to ramp up and get work for the Xerox (PrintFusionWeb customer for 4 years)

The two products seem to work together well. I haven't run into any major problems. The FreeFlow RIP that was bundled w/ my 700 isn't quite as beefy as I would like... the job we have on their now is a 2-sided Legal Document printing on Tabloid. It takes a couple hours to RIP just 1000 records, so I had to break them up into groups of 500 to get production started quicker. I also was disappointed to learn (the hard way!) I can't pre-process a job in the RIP, place it on hold, and then submit it to the print Q (have to re-rip the stinking thing!) THAT majorly sucks; we're a smaller shop, and I was hoping to pre-process jobs at night, and print in the AM... 'spose I could just buy a faster/bigger RIP, but.... Be nice to not have to re-rip something just because I paused it, too! LOL!

I'm not ecstatic about the machine, but it's pretty decent, considering the price. FusionPro is good, but quirky... I've spent a lot of time in communication w/ their support team (which being a few time zones away, has proven troublesome at best). I would make sure you get a dedicated account rep. to help handle technical questions, as I regularly have to remind their support@printables... about this open case, and that open case, and what have you dug up on....

Frustrating, but perhaps it's just me. Same-Day turn on items is the norm for much of the digital work we do, and waiting a day or more sometimes for resolution is difficult on the customer service.

- Mac

The Creo and Fiery are not equal when it comes to VDP on the Xerox 700. Fiery does not support VPS like the Creo. This means you will spend a lot more time ripping file on the Fiery unless of course you buy the VIPP license from Xerox.

VDP Jobs and RIPS

VDP Jobs and RIPS

Depending on the Fiery RIP, it will consume PPML which will take advantage of the caching of static information and graphics if you choose. This means that the first time a piece of information gets to the RIP it will sit in the cache until it is called out to be used in the job. DesignMerge VDP software will allow you to choose the driver you need for printing to your specific RIP, whether it is PostScript, VPS, PPML or VIPP. You can also .zip this information during processing time so the file sizes will be smaller going through the network.

Try it yourself Meadows Publishing Solutions

Greg Bane
DesignMerge Channel Manager

The Creo and Fiery are not equal when it comes to VDP on the Xerox 700. Fiery does not support VPS like the Creo. This means you will spend a lot more time ripping file on the Fiery unless of course you buy the VIPP license from Xerox.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back