New member, and need some advise

eserratov

Hi to everybody.
I´m new in this forum, i´m from Monterrey Mexico and we have a printing shop here in this city, just normal offset machines by the moment.
We want to buy a digital machine for printing four color separation and very important for us is to match pms, the format we need is biger than 13 X 19, must of the machines biger than that are very expensive like HP indigo´s, we went to the Graph expo at chicago and we found a very nice equipment an MGI Meteor DP8700 XL +, this machine is 13 X 47 and print´s great, 3,600 dpi 271 lpi, the only thing is that pms are printed with cmyk and i would like a machine that could print with prepared toner of the pms required, if sombody knows a equipment that cost no more than $300,000 us dlls that can do this please let me know.
Format could be 13 X 26 we don´t need more, and the paper is 300 grs no thicker than that.
Thanks.

Why don't you want to print the PMS with CMYK? As long as it matches the color who cares how its done? I think Indigo is the only one where you can pre mix a specific PMS color. You should look at a nexpress. They have a feeder option that can do long sheets and they have a 5th color unit. You can't put actual pantone colors in the 5th unit but they some special colors that when mixed with the CMYK accurately produce I think 97%+ of pantone colors.

We have just a cmyk machines and I've never had a customer complain that we didn't match their PMS color.

Thanks for your replay jrsc, yes you are correct about that you can match pms color with cmyk especialy this MGI printer can do it very well, my concern is that my clients normally see on their covers a big backgroun with a prepared pms printed on a offset machine and maybe the look of that backgound is going to look different with cmyk.
Any way i will do some proofs to see what happens, maybe deppending on the kind of paper i use and the screens is going to be the difference.

You can't match Pantone with CMYK. What you should look for is a 6-7 colour press.
CMYK +Green, Blue & Orange. Its called "Extended Gamut".
Google that and you will find a lot of information.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back