new to digital printing

After many years as a small commercial offset shop, we're taking the plunge and going in the digital copying/printing direction. We've gotten to the point we've been sending out color jobs, and long runs, and jobs requiring lots of bindery. We'll print 1 & 2 color newsletters, envelopes, etc. We've been getting plates from a shop that takes our files and makes a metal plate. Good for upteenhundred thousand imps., we run 5M! A bit of overkill! We still shoot film for stuff after we set it up on the Mac and print out an original, line work of course, sometimes we'll add a screen when we make the plate (old habits die hard).
We just purchased an OKI CX3641, which seemed like a good machine to start with. I've seen OKI disparaged on this site, but the price was right, and like I say it's a place to start.
Any suggestions for a newbie?
I would like to be able to number sequentially for tickets, etc, and we'll perf. them on the 'windmill'; also, need to be able to score the short runs, any suggestions for a reliable tabletop scoring machine? It doesn't seem to make sense to set up litho-score on the press for a few hundred pieces, and due to an unfortunate operator error, the windmill no longer holds register well enough for that job.
Any tips would be gratefully received.
Thank you all.

How can I help?

How can I help?

Hey number 12,

Some questions you have will take a bit of explanation, however I do this most of what you asked now. Where are you located? It may be better to chat by phone on some of it.
I am in central cal.

Bret

Number 12,

I know it's a bit late responding to this thread, but I wanted to congratulate you on your new purchase. I run a Xante Ilumina which is built on the same engine. I think some of the slack it gets is a bit unwarranted when you take into consideration that it is a good machine for a newbie (just like I was almost three years ago). It (both the Oki and Xante) are cheap to buy which is what makes them great for a starter machine. I bought mine with cash for $7200 to start my print shop. And it will handle the same stock that machines costing twice as much can handle. The drawback is that it is EXPENSIVE to operate; especially when compared to machines that cost twice as much. The formula I tell people is this: Xante/Oki is cheap to buy but expensive to operate and Xerox/KM and Whatever is expensive to buy but cheap to operate.

Anyway, I could go on all day about my experiences (both good and bad) with the Oki engine. Just as Bretman offered, I would love to have a phone conversation with you. I'm on the east coast in Maryland. As for scoring/perfing. I have Martin Yale, I think. I believe I paid like a $1000 for it.

Keith

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back