New To The Site - Seeking UV Printer

cmpdesignz

Admin - I apologize in advance if this is not allowed.

I am looking for someone located in the United States with ability to handle small UV print jobs. I create custom packing for toys and need small runs printed on 28pt double side coated stock. My designs are 6x9" on an 8.5x11" layout and are double sided. They will need to be cut to the desired size.

Offset printing is not an option due to each piece being individually numbered. I only make 5 of each design and that's it.

If you can help me in any way, please either post here or send me a PM.

Thank you.

UV was recommended to me as a response to my original post (which is gone for some reason). I have a printer locally who was making these for me "by hand". We were printing a front/back on 14pt card stock and he was "melding" them together and then trimming them down.

My first act was great - everything was flawless. The front and backs line up perfect. Second batch - not so good. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't get the back to line up with the front. And noting changed with regard to the setup. I used the same exact template / action in Photoshop to line everything up.

So when I posted my dilemma previously and asked about how to achieve the thickness by using the same piece of paper front/back without going to an offset press / plate scenario it was suggested I use UV printing.

Someone else suggested a printer with a machine called an OCE (forgive me - I'm just a designer / artist)??? But I can't find one of those locally either.

I'm going to guess an Oce Arizona was suggested. Really any flatbed Inkjet UV printer could do this, although I can't see it being very cost effective.
Check some local sign shops maybe.

I am an OCE Arizona operator (in Canada) and I Can tell you right now, achieving exact registration front to back on the flatbed is damn near impossible. You can get within 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch, but since the sheet is flipped by hand (as opposed to an offset printer which flips inside the machine, for example), its not an exact science. And I wouldn't recommend this process for what you're doing. I would find an offset printer with variable capabilities. I know our shop runs the HP7600 offset printers and they can absolutely run numbered pieces. Also, printing an 8.5x11 sheet on a 96" x 48" flatbed printer isnt an easy task either. It would require a bunch of extra setup time, especially since its double sided. You'd be better off to source out your paper in a larger sheet.

I'm almost certain you will not find a digital press toner or ink jet to do 28 pt. I think a flatbed UV printer is best for this. You should be able to register both side if you do a jig. We have a small Mimaki UV printer that could do this but I don't think as cheap as a digital press.

I recently saw some pretty cool business cards for another shop owner. He had laminated 2 16pt sheets together and then cut them for his business cards. They were super thick (obviously) but made a good statement. And yeah, as far as 28pt through a digital machine, your gonna be hard pressed to find it. I'm not even sure the biggest indigo's can handle it. My xerox 1000i handles 16pt no problem, and have been told by a few different tech's that people have pushed them up to 20pt, but I've yet to try it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back