New user - questions re KM C6000 v Xerox 560 v KM C650 used

steveclv

Some advice please…

We are a new business located in Malta in the Mediterranean and we want to branch out into a digital print shop providing design and print services for small businesses, hotels etc. Primarily we will be doing leaflets, flyers, brochures, business cards in full colour. As a photographer, I will also be wanting to produce photographic art on the digital as an alternative to the wide format inkjets that we currently use.

At the moment, due to limited availability, I have shortlisted a Xerox 560 with the finisher (stapler, folder, square folder and trifold) or a Konica Minolta C6000 with the finisher.

Both currently hit our monthly price point although the Xerox seems to be more expensive on consumables.

As an alternative, I am looking at a used Minolta Bizhub C650 with booklet finisher which I can get for the equivalent of 2 months lease on the others and own it – albeit it’s an older, used machine that may require more frequent servicing.

The question is whether I should even be considering the C650 or jump straight into either of the other machines – could the C650 be considered a stop gap that would allow us to build the business and then consider an upgrade into a new machine down the road or would we be restricting ourselves with a limited capability machine? Financially it makes sense but not at the risk of getting something that would not be suitable for what we wanted our core business to be – good quality brochures, flyers etc etc.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed.

I have only had experience with the 560. It was a good machine with one major weakness, in our experience. It had quite a few jams when it came to duplexing any coated, or heavy sheets. Made it more practical to run them through the machine twice.

Thanks - that's good to know. I am pretty much decided on the 560 as I like the range of media that it supports but I think I am going to have to pass on their Maintenance agreement as it is far too expensive. It's a brand new machine so should be supported for the first year anyway under warranty and I can purchase the consumables cheaper on eBay.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back