Newbie needs help with a ton of questions.

Sayitwithprint

Hi,

I have been scanning this forum trying to find the answers to the questions I have but seem to be getting confused with information overload. I was hoping you guys maybe able to give me a bit of guidance.

At the moment I have an ebay business selling edible pictures for cakes, ie we print on wafer paper or icing sheets with a food printer. Business is plodding along and I was thinking it would be a great idea to start to sell invitations alongside this as the two go together quite well.

I am now looking for a good quality printer that can print on 300gsm glossy card. I know I cant just use any desktop printer as the quality will be shocking however at the moment I dont think I need a big production printer either. Can anyone reccomend a good small office based printer that will do the job.

Also am getting confused with the different print types mono, inkjet, laser what printer would be best for this type of work.

Thanks in advance any help would be great.

The answers are likely to be pretty much the same as when you started a similar thread a couple of weeks ago. Good quality on 300gsm card is not something that small desktop printers do well. The entry level, as suggested before, is likely to be one of the high-end OKI machines. You can probably pick up a second-hand 9650/9850 for not too much money.

However when you have factored in the relatively high costs of running a printer like this plus your need for a guillotine of some description, then you may well be better off talking to a local short-run printer who can produce the invitations for you on a sub-contract basis. You should be able to get a good deal for regular work.

To really simply things, you could look at pre printing the cards you would be offering. Quantity would be based on what you think you can move. You can then imprint on the inside whatever you want if you are doing custom text. This would save needing to cut and finish as the cards should be cut to size already. This would really only be good for small runs, if it starts getting larger, then I would look to develop a relationship with a local printer.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back