NexPress vs Indigo

jinthebay

Hey folks, I'm doing some consulting for an old employee of mine and I was hoping for some insight from some of the people in the DI field.

My client is considering a purchase of either the Nexpress 2100 or the Indigo 7000. Does anyone have any opinions on either? Pros / cons? What are the differences on the cost of the consumables? Service / support? Reliability and overall downtime? Training and learning curve?

Also, with the Nexpress. Is the connectivity with Prinergy EVO a problem? NOT just Prinergy but Prinergy EVO.

Any response is appreciated.

A NexPress 2100 and indigo 7000 would not be machines to compare, over $300,000 price difference. The better comparison would be a NexPress S3000 with a indigo 7000.

Consumables are based on the monthly volume, service and support are defendant of the location of the press and where the technicians are based. Both have parts that the operator can replace limiting what a technician has to come in to fix.

Nexpress vs Indigo

Nexpress vs Indigo

Thanks IR&DA,

It sound like the two considerations are a reconditioned Nexpress 2100 Plus vs. a new Indigo 3500. I realize that the Nexpress is larger and has the ability to print spot gloss, which the Indigo does not. But, can anyone tell me what the difference is in the use of consumables from one to the other. My client has the option to pay per click with the Indigo, but may not want to go that route with the Nexpress if the cost of the consumables are considerably less with the 2100.

Also, does anyone know what the difference in speed is, side by side, running 1 colour? I've heard that the Indigo is faster in this regard.

Additionally, it would seem that the Nexpress would be somewhat easier to maintain or replace parts by the operator as opposed to placing a service call.

Any thoughts?

Are you going to divide your consulting fee with the people answering your questions on this thread? If not, then just give your client the link to this forum, and we can help them directly.

Al

Al,
I fully understand and somewhat agree with your comment. But aren't we all making (or attempting to) money off of each others advice/comments? Whether it is trying to make a decision about buying a new box or how to better run a job. In the end we're all here for the same thing, bouncing questions off of each other and hoping for honest answers.

Thanks IR&DA,

It sound like the two considerations are a reconditioned Nexpress 2100 Plus vs. a new Indigo 3500. I realize that the Nexpress is larger and has the ability to print spot gloss, which the Indigo does not. But, can anyone tell me what the difference is in the use of consumables from one to the other. My client has the option to pay per click with the Indigo, but may not want to go that route with the Nexpress if the cost of the consumables are considerably less with the 2100.

Also, does anyone know what the difference in speed is, side by side, running 1 colour? I've heard that the Indigo is faster in this regard.

Additionally, it would seem that the Nexpress would be somewhat easier to maintain or replace parts by the operator as opposed to placing a service call.

Any thoughts?

I would call it spot matte over spot gloss and it is more of a look over protection for things like mailing. Both NexPress and indigo have parts that the operator replaces such as blankets.

indigo charges a click per color so a 4/0 image is 4 clicks. The way NexPress bills now is for A3 pages so 2 clicks for A4. They may be changing, and some locations may already be on the single click rate for any size page. I really can't comment on consumable pricing depending on how many thousand or million pages you run your pricing will drop. You will have to get actual quotes from both manufacturers.

The NexPress 2100 will run 2100 A3 (11x17) pages an hour regardless of colors or 4200 A4. It also does not slow down for the 5th station (red, blue, green, matte).

The indigo does run faster for pages that have less then 4 colors. At 4-color you can get 4000 2-up A4's, with 1-color you can get 8,000 A4. The speed is not affected by weight or speed, for that reason you want to run everything on full size sheets multiple up. The same holds when running 5, 6, or 7 colors the machine will slow down as each color is added.

If you have a lot of different and special substrates the NexPress may be a better option so that you don't have to buy pretreated stocks or coat them yourselves. As well as if you can not run multiple up and run A4's you will get 33 ppm on indigo vs 70 ppm on NexPress.

Nexpress vs. Indigo

Nexpress vs. Indigo

Thanks again IR&DA,

It seems like there is still quite a bit of information I need to gather at this point. But the insight you have provided is very helpful. I'm not sure exactly what type of deal HP can provide or how competitive they can get with their pricing. To me, Kodak still seems to stand out as the best choice.

But again, thank you. This is why I come to this forum. Coincidentally, Al Ferrari, I'm not being payed for my consulting. This is more of the type of work I do to continually stay in favor with some of the people I've worked with in the past. Many people in this industry have helped me before and in turn, I do what I can to help them. I've been very fortunate to have continued to work in this industry even when, in this economic climate, things don't look so rosy. So Al Ferrari, if the only thing you're concerned with is getting paid, perhaps this isn't the forum for you.

That aside, I will continue to visit this forum to find answers and help from people who know more than I. And, whenever I can help someone, I will always certainly try (without expecting something in return).

Thanks Folks.

jinthebay,

I have been thinking about the point made by Craig in response to my comments about your initial post, and now wish I had worded it differently. I apologize for over reacting. You explain now that you are not being paid, fine, but in the original post you used the phrases "I am doing some consulting...", and "my client..." which had some influence on my overreaction. Like you, I have gained much help from others in these forums, and when I can, I make well thought out contributions to help others. My initial response to you in this thread was certainly not one of them, and I regret making it.

I participate in this and other forums as a practitioner among practitioners. For examples of my posts, see

http://printplanet.com/forums/sheetfed-web-offset-discussion/17157-running-envelopes-ryobi-3302m-how

in this forum, and

Punch Coordinates - GUA Forums

in another forum where I use the name sequoyah.

Al Ferrari

Last edited:
Al,
We all slip once in a while, I'm guilty too, no big deal! Again, I can see why you said what you said, sometimes I feel the same way!

indigo does spot varnish too,

in my experience the indigo has very little downtime and is a good solid machine with a good resale value, you gotta remember if you can sell the machine for 1/4 of what you paid for it then that sorta makes a diff to the purchase price. also it's possible to pay for your consumables rather than clicks if you wish

Greetings,

I can speak on the Indigo side. The Nexpress, I think, is a Canon 7000? Craig or Random would know.
RE: Indigo 3500 is a very good machine. You will have to pay for operator training and end up with a operator/shared maintenance person in house. It's in the deal. Comparing speeds and consumable costs is tricky because you need a common denominator. Specs vary on pages per minute, and sheet size. (I use 4 color 1 side 11x17) Some companies included service and give you a certain number of clicks, others include consumables, with a lower click, and an added service contract. Find a way to get them all on the same spreadsheet, and figure costs on 100K #impressions, 500K and so on to get comparable numbers.

good luck,

Marko de Flandero

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back