Nexus 8.6 rev 1

Re: Nexus 8.6 rev 1

> {quote:title=bluvoodoo7 wrote:}{quote}
> I have 8.5.3 and 8.6.1 installed and I have not received any license errors. Sounds like you got a bad build...?

Same for me here except I still have 8.4 rev 4b, 8.5 rev 3, and 8.6 rev 1 loaded. It sounds like like something I had previously experienced when I didn't get the right encoding number input for the dongle. Why it lets you download a bad build I have no idea but it does. I'd do the download again and make sure the dongle number and encoding number are correct.

I've had this happen, also. Was just a bad build. Although, support re-enforced the use of Safari for downloads. (I always use Safari, but they told me to try again??) They just needed time t fix the build (I think)

I also think you might have given a wrong encoding or had bad luck with the build.

I never uninstall a previous version. In the past we had way to many problems with upgrades after uninstalling that we loose too much production time trying to get it good again. Now we just do the upgrade install, if it doesn't work, we can simply go back by starting up the previous working version.

Currently installed on our server: 8.4 rev2 / 8.4 rev 4 / 8.5 rev 3 (with issues) / 8.6 rev 1 (with issues)
I'd love to get the 8.6 running but unfourtunatly I had to get support to get in action. Wondering when I'll here something from them...

Kristof, you mentioned that you are having issues with 8.6 rev 1. Can we get any details on the issues that you are running into?

In my very limited amount of testing so far I have not run into any major issues that we were not dealing with in 8.5 rev 3....

The main issue we have, is a constant failing of the export PDF activity. The OpenAP activity tends to fail from time to time but too much in my opinion.

I've been testing new solutions given by AWS but without any positive result. They think it's a memory deallocation problem. The moment I know more, i'll let you know.

we are having the same problem with the export to pdf module and in some instances after this has happened no jobs will go through nexus and we have to reboot the software. Support have told us this is a bug and are looking into it back at HQ.

Repro,

We're a Belgian based company, so we easily make contact with support / dev at HQ. So far they told me we were the only ones having this issue but never said it was a bug. They made a log of it; i'm not at the office now so I can't give you the number but I'll get that to you asap.
What you describe is exactly what we have.
We've been having it since 8.5 and didn't get solved in all later versions.

Knowing we aren't the only ones anymore, I'll get back to AWS on that...

I have a few questions with regard to 8.6:

1. Do you really have to be running Windows 2003 Server? Is anyone successfully running Windows 2000 Server with 8.6?

2. Luong from AWS support could never get a build for 8.5 to work for us (repeated failure/abort in the input module). Did anyone else have the same experience? We're stuck with 8.4 r4 in the meantime.

Thanks for any help or advice we can get.

Has anyone come up with an answer or a 'fix' for this one yet?

*Joe, is there still an issue with InDesign CS3 files running from an Intel box not getting the correct document page number (I print page 5, but it appears as page 1) in Nexus? I know I can turn on "run with Rosetta" to get around it, but I don't want to take the performance hit when I do so.*

Not that I'm aware of. I am stilling running 8.5.3 because I'm waiting for more input on 8.6.1. Most of the issues refered to don't effect me because I do have a Windows 2003 server and I don't use composite or NexusImport workflows.

Thanks Gin. Is there a workaround for the page number issue that we can do in the meantime?

Other than as mentioned previously to turn on "Open using Rosetta" for InDesign (from the Get Info), exporting as a PDF might work for you as well.

My pleasure. Picked it up on one of the posts from this forum, just passin' it on.

> {quote:title=GinSu wrote:}{quote}
> Joe, is there still an issue with InDesign CS3 files running from an Intel box not getting the correct document page number (I print page 5, but it appears as page 1) in Nexus? I know I can turn on "run with Rosetta" to get around it, but I don't want to take the performance hit when I do so.

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Yes, it does use the correct page number now with InDesign CS3. If you print just pg 5 it numbers it "005".

I've been running 8.6.1 since the day it was released and it is far more stable than any of the 8.5 releases in my day to day use.

Hello, I am new to the site, but a 5 year veteran with Nexus. According to AWS we were experiencing an isolated incident. We too have issues exporting a PDF. Typically, the Nexus Processor freezes, and Nexus will bottleneck until we quit the processor, and allow it to relaunch. We have a 6-month old top of the line (then) Proactive box, which we are throwing high end Process work at for Flexo plating. I am currently attempting to alleviate this by upgrading Server 2003 standard edition to server 2003 Enterprise edition, which enables me to physically install and use up to 32gb of ram. It is my assumption that a more robust distribution of memory should help alleviate the strain on the processor. Up until now, I have done everything that AWS suggests with no alleviation of the problem. Had the new OS and memory in last night, but after launching Port Server and then Control, the Control module quits. I had at it until 10pm last night and had to go back to my previous setup for production this morning. I will report back with any success.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back