Nexus 8.? question - basic (I hope)

KevinC@EFI

I have a customer with a Nexus 8.6(?) workflow, and we're working to try to get it to output pre-separated, un-screened, high-res PostScript or PDF files for us to feed into another system. We're having some difficulties setting up a workflow to do this, and I think it's some pretty basic stuff. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated!

1) I can't seem to find a user manual online... any links?

2) We can't figure out how to set up the "Merge OPPO" and "Make Separations" modules in the workflow correctly... we keep getting "no files to merge" error, so we're obviously using it incorrectly or missing a step before these modules.

3) We're trying to stack the Merge OPPO module with "Interpret PS" and "Convert EPS to PS" modules, but the examples show a line returning back up to the main workflow stream after those modules... we can't get it to do that (sorry, it's hard to describe!).

If anyone is an expert on this subject and can solve the problems, I'm also willing to hire them via Webex/TeamViewer to set it up. I'm told that Esko doesn't support this version any more, and we're not likely to get them to fix it... if that's untrue, I can go that route too.

Thanks!
Kevin.

Kevin, I will try to track down my manual PDF and send it to you. That sounds like a very easy workflow to build. I am going to try to take one of my existing workflows and modify it for you. We are Nexus version 8.4, so the workflows should be very similar in how they function.

-Sev

That would be amazing, Sev! I appreciate the help on this. It does "sound" simple, but we've been stymied over some of the steps. The closest we got was a PostScript that had 6 separations, but the spot colors were all converted to CMYK (except for the spot-color page marks). That's how we ended up trying to use the Merge OPPO / Make Separations modules.

Kevin.

That would be amazing, Sev! I appreciate the help on this. It does "sound" simple, but we've been stymied over some of the steps. The closest we got was a PostScript that had 6 separations, but the spot colors were all converted to CMYK (except for the spot-color page marks). That's how we ended up trying to use the Merge OPPO / Make Separations modules.

Kevin.

I am sending you the manual at your email. Then I will see what I can do about the workflow. I have built many Nexus workflows.

-Sev

Do you know if they have license for the PDF processor? If so, there is a separate module that will take a composite PDF and output a PDF for each separation. From there you can easily convert those PDF's to PS or leave it as PDF. If they don't have that module, I can help you with a classic nexus workflow.

Do you know if they have license for the PDF processor? If so, there is a separate module that will take a composite PDF and output a PDF for each separation. From there you can easily convert those PDF's to PS or leave it as PDF. If they don't have that module, I can help you with a classic nexus workflow.

I'll have to verify when I'm back there tomorrow. Separated PDF would be fine for us too, but the issue we've run into is that we seem to be outputting the "proof quality" file instead of the final print-quality file. That means that the resolution is low, but also that the spot colors are converted into CMYK. I'm sure there's an easy fix, but I'm not (yet) a Nexus expert, so I'm just learning my way.

I appreciate the support, and may be in touch directly - if you don't mind sending me your contact details by private message, I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Kevin.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back