Nexus raster trapping vs TotalRip's PDF trapping

macdevin,

This is why I have never used Artpro for more than a couple jobs. Keeping the file as PDF all the way is the only way to go IMHO (by customer using PDF export and choosing something like PDF/X-4 or maybe custom settings to give trim plus 1 inch with page centered within (so get bleeds and marks in half inch added around trim)), or might as well keep using Adobe and Quark applications in prepress. I'd rather keep up with one file with a trap layer added than keep up with native Mac and Windows Quark, Microsoft, and Adobe files, fonts, vector artwork, and images all archived as I must do now.

Don

I'm not sure what files you get, but I have case after case where converting to artpro and then back to another format has messed up the files. The whole thing with artpro in a nexus workflow is why convert file types just to trap. everytime you convert to something else your at risk of something going wrong. This is why TotalRIP is a better..

macdevin

Joe and geozinger,

Thank you both for the replies.

I'll stand by what I said years ago:

Adobe sees the changes I make as ADDING value to the file. I see the changes I make as KEEPING value of the file. If I can't make the changes I need to make, the document becomes worthless, since I can't print it without the changes.

So for the file to KEEP ANY VALUE, I MUST be able to make type changes.

If not, then I will have to use a font that is not the customer's font, and what I do will not look like what the customer would have done if they would have made the change(s) (because I'm no longer using their fonts with inherent leading, tracking, etc. but different font with probable different leading, tracking, etc.)

Regards,

Don

No documentation. I tried it about a week ago and the TrueType and OpenType fonts always came out as subset from InDesign CS4 export. Admittedly, I never tested with Quark or by distilling.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back