Number of ups to be calculated!!

raj9469

Hi friends,

Is there any easy way to find out the number of ups, which can be incorporated in specified sheet layout without doing it manually as We are facing so much delay & problem in costing dept with manual method.

Its like a simple multiplication job, but need in pre defined scripts. By inputting variables like size of the sheet (HxW), size of the artwork (HxW) and bleed area should obtain number of ups.

Can it be done in any scripting language? or is there any ready application available? Kindly advise.

As the Australian distributor I would recommend Accura MIS, however it is not the free solution that you are looking for and Accura can do so much more than estimating/quotes (which is the core module, working out the number of jobs out of the media is only a small part of the process).

Accura Print Estimating - Order Processing - Job Costing - Stock Control - CRM - The Print MIS System of Choice

So...two free software links:

Printpak Community Edition. Free downloadable print MIS, including expert estimating - not just a trial.
Morning Flight: Print Estimating Software for Offset/Copy/Digital

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

Stephen - I think you got the question wrong. Any software concerned with imposition that could be recommended to the person asking the question?

Stephen - I think you got the question wrong. Any software concerned with imposition that could be recommended to the person asking the question?

Yoga, although imposition software could "answer the question" - the context is in estimating as I read it (bolded text below):

Is there any easy way to find out the number of ups, which can be incorporated in specified sheet layout without doing it manually as We are facing so much delay & problem in costing dept with manual method.

This question starts in the quote/estimating stage. Perhaps I am wrong, and it is the manual imposing that is creating the delays and problems with costing... However it reads to me as the problems and delays are directly related to estimating - before the job even becomes an order and imposing is manually started.

If the question is about imposing and it is in the correct Adobe forum, then what is the file format and or application? Is this a PDF in Acrobat Pro? Is this InDesign? Is this Illustrator? This will help decide what imposition software may be required. What types of jobs? Business cards? Books? Packaging that is irregular in shape?

Sincerely,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
But none of the solutions mentioned by you provide for automated ups planning, which is the essential need.

Obviously, this would precede cost estimation.

Stephen - Sorry, I missed reading the last two paragraphs of your previous post.

Reckon, the guy who asked the question needs to clarify what exactly he wants!

Regards,

Yoga

Last edited:
Hi Yoga/Stephen

Yoga, I am not asking for an imposing software, imposing and some other work can be done by designers or a technical person only. I need a very simple and small application which can be handled by a merchandiser, so that costing/estimating will be easy and faster, no need to come upto Studio or CAD dept.

However i am trying to develop it using ms excel & ms access.

Stephen- Yes, if the question is about imposing, we can manually impose in illustrator & indesign. Perhaps there is a software called PrePS (Not a stand alone software) which automatically imposes the job according to the type of binding of the book or pad, (like perfect binding, saddled stitch, side stitch) useful for prepress CTP professionals.

Thanks guys :)

Thats exactly what I thought...MS Excel..

Till I lost my way in the discussion...

btw what are you printing?

Small Units per Sheet utility program

Small Units per Sheet utility program

Raj and others:

Would your company pay $100.00 for a small, simple utility program that takes the width and height of a unit and the width and length of a press sheet as input, and quickly returns the number of units/sheet if aligned horizontally, or vertically, or in mixed orientation and draws these alternatives for you on your monitor or on a laser printer? And as a bonus, this program would give you a chart of such fits for an entire customizable list of sheet sizes, highlighting each of the best horizontal and vertical fits?

I am developing just such a utility.

Al Ferrari

Al Ferrari - I think it will work well as a plug in, rather than another program.

And I am not sure about pricing, honestly. I am no expert on saleability of such tools...

In my case, we do it manually because we are never required to do this for a large number of jobs at a time. Also, reimposition is needed only occasionally.

Regards,

Yoga

Hi Yoga,

Thanks very much for the response. But as a plug in for what application? I am not primarily a programer, but I have been developing/improving this stand alone program over 2 decades, and use it routinely in estimating in the fashion of the original post in this thread.

Al

Plugin for Illustrator or Excel maybe? I am not sure Al.

We do it manually and use Signa Station too.

Quick Fit Views

Quick Fit Views

Here are three screen captures of the application window for my program.

Note from Picture 1 that the window has 4 Tabs and the default first tab is shown, where you can see the four inputs, the results summarized in text and the graphically displayed results.

Picture 2 shows the second tab displaying the inputs again and the chart of sizes in the customizable sheets list. Picture 3 shows access to that sheet list via a pup up in the first tab.

Al

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 533
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 474
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 436
Wish the pictures had better resolution Al.

Nevertheless, looks like this is exactly what Raj could use.

Regards,

Yoga

Units/Sheet printed output pdf

Units/Sheet printed output pdf

Unfortunately screen captures are 72 dpi and cannot be up sampled. But here is a pdf of the programs printed output which is resolution independent.

Thanks for the feedback Yoga.

Al

Attachments

• Quick Fit Views2.pdf
    12.7 KB · Views: 347
i

i

hi Ferrari

I would like to have a demo of ur development first, if it satisfies my company would surely pay! I hope u have understood our requirement!

Hi Raj,

Here I attached simple calculation Excel file for UPS calculation. This is very basic and may helps to your A/C Dept.

Attachments

• UPS Calculation.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 433
Thanks arkay

This is very simple one, and it would give wrong ups, as there is no mixed orientation is given,
Anyway thank you for ur concerned reply. And good news is i have developed a detailed program using macros in excel, which will give accurate number of ups in all orientation even in mixed orientation. It also gives remaining even and odd space. in just single click we can take a print out also.

Thanks again....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back