Oce and KM selling same box

JustPrint!

I am talking about the Oce CS665 / KM C6501.

Great great machine versus Xerox 700. I demo'ed it and awesome box it is.

Dilemma, should I buy from Oce or KM? I know Oce got bought out by Canon. Sales rep was upfront about it. Assured me in writing that Oce will be supporting machine for at least 5-7 years.

Pricing and monthly service are very close. From where I stand, this is an apples to apples comparison. Should I just let them duke it out over price. Is there something "value added" that either company has that would sway me in the future.

Any input would be appreciative.

Mike G

I'd go with KM. Personally I've had Oce service on the cs650 and the local technical knowledge seemed lacking. Also, with the ownership change happening, I wouldn't trust the uninterrupted supply chain "promise"...

Just my .02

I agree with shortrun, who is to say Oce will be able to keep the service level they promise is they can't get the parts/supplies. Stick with KM!

Also if you have a KM you have the option of them buying out your lease for a new color box. (KM8000 or a new 6500 series in 3-4 years). I don't know how long it is going to take Oce to add Canon color into the mix.

I am quite sure that 6501 won't be at sale in three years, I expect to be discontinued in less than 12 months.

It would appear the 6501 will be discontinued by the end of the year, in favor of what my rep is calling the "6000" and "7000" in keeping with the numbering "scheme" of the new C-8000.

It would appear the 6501 will be discontinued by the end of the year, in favor of what my rep is calling the "6000" and "7000" in keeping with the numbering "scheme" of the new C-8000.

Meaning Oce will discontinue carrying it. Or KM will discontinue making it?

Additionally my understanding is that Oce is just clearing their inventory currently and no new KM6501 will be branded as Oce's.

Service and Parts Guarantee

Service and Parts Guarantee

In response to your question of whom to choose, Océ or KM, it will all depend on the configuration of both the machine and the front end. Océ's knowledge of color as a whole is much greater than that of KM, that is why they were awarded "Best of Show" at the On Demand conference in 2009, even though KM had submitted the same system. In addition, it has been put in writing from the president that Océ will have service and parts availability for the CS line, both the 650 (6500 from KM) and the 665 (6501 from KM) and even the VarioPrint 1105 (KM's 1050e). If you look at the other side of the coin, will KM stand behind all the Océ they purchased and installed??????

If you are looking at VDP, color fidelity, throughput, uptime, and/ or repeat-ability, Océ has the resources available.

How about buy it from whoever has the lowest price and get a one year contract for service. Then you can change if they suck or something ?

Just Print- had this discussion with my Oce' rep recently. We have a 665 Pro since December. Great box- quite the production machine. We put 60-80M sheets on it every month, quite a bit is 13x19 cover duplex. KM is using the sales angle of hey you can't trust Oce' now( they called to make this point recently), but my Oce' rep pointed out why in the world would KM walk away from parts revenue for machines in the field?, money talks.

In my experience it came down to Oce' seems more production oriented, they know the machine well, the only shortcomings have been their lack of knowledge on the fiery server. Seeing its the same box, KM would work, it just comes down to do you want to work with people who play every sales card?. we took a hard look at Xerox 700 but it came down to just as good box for a significantly better price. is your vendor interested in making you successful, or is a vendor just trying to make a sale? Good luck! :)

**Depends on your service area

**Depends on your service area

We had both - started with the KM flavor and our local KM service org couldn't cut it. Mostly all office guys, so production was a foreign language for them. Oce came in with the same machine, wrote us a service guarantee, and have rocked on their level of service for production and up time. I would check with owners in your area, because it could be exactly the opposite somewhere else. Get something in writing if they want you to spend the cash - they will drag their feet on it, but if they want the $ stream, make them put your service guarantee on paper!

Ocè is quitting service contracts in my area, even if they are still getting parts and material from OEM Konica Minolta. They also lack in competence over software, RIP and color management. I would definitely go for the Konica Minolta in a multi year relationship plan.

Just visited this thread today and we went with the KM over OCE.

In the end, it came down to financing. KM had their figures together from day one and said yes yes yes to every question or concern. With OCE, their was too many "I have to check with finance manager".

I do believe that OCE has edge in terms of production printing than any other player and I hope to get into their B/w systems.

It all comes back down to who will give the better service (Parts inventory, tech-machine ratio, training etc.) We went with KM and have no regrets. HOWEVER, being in South Africa, the situation could be drastically different to yours.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back