Oce Varioprint DP Series. Any Suggestions?

nicon

Hi everybody!

We are a Print Service provider and we're interesting on investing at the new OCE Varioprint DP 110. We want to cover the areas of Book Publishing, Catalogs, Manuals and Social Event material, especially 'cause we know it has the ability to print at a wide variety of media, including specialty and texturized papers.

We spent the last 14 years working with Xerox and we are switching now 'cause we want something better as a machine, with hi-quality impress.

Does anybody know or have / have worked with the machine?
We appreciate and be thankful for any suggestions.

Thank you in advance

Nicon.

Last edited:
Nicon,

We've printed several jobs on this printer - very nice screens but we ran into a major problem with scratching. Even the slightest touch will put a big scratch across these areas - you can do it with a the back of your fingernail easily - tough to get through bindery. We had two jobs come back because of this - others were OK.

Nicon,

We've printed several jobs on this printer - very nice screens but we ran into a major problem with scratching. Even the slightest touch will put a big scratch across these areas - you can do it with a the back of your fingernail easily - tough to get through bindery. We had two jobs come back because of this - others were OK.

Thanks DigitalNow for the reply. What the technicians say about? Are you going to give it back? And one more thing: Are you suggesting to me NOT to move to any purchase 'cause of this? 'Cause if it has such a major scratch problem, we would have also major difficulties when pass the paper through folding machine.

We don't have this printer but have bought out jobs with a local shop - it seems it has to do with the way the toner is put onto the sheet. I think for in-plant folks where quality doesn't matter as much it might be OK, but selling jobs is a different story - anyone critical or not used to seeing scratching is going to have an issue. I had to reprint 2 jobs due to this. Bindery would only add to the problem.

I'd recommend you print some of your regular jobs on it and see how it comes out - give it a scratch test and let us know what you think.

The scratching issue is something that I think has plagued Oce' ever since they introduced their "DirectPress" (CopyPress?) technology, in which they directly image the drum which is transferred via a belt to pre-heated paper where it is then fused. It's an interesting concept but apparently the scratching issue has been a problem for years and supposedly Venlo was going to fix it but it sounds like it's still an issue. As mentioned above there are many negative bindery implications if that's the case. I'm not knocking Oce' they make very reliable equipment but if their customer expectations guide doesn't sound encouraging in that regard I would ask lots of questions.

disclosure -- I work for Ricoh.

see this: http://printplanet.com/forums/digit...35-buying-new-low-mid-production-b-w-printers

we got three DP line printers and we are very happy with them (and also with the océ prismaprepare which is the real tool that makes your work easier and much much faster). the “smearing problem” does indeed exist and has been discussed for some time, its impact in the finishing was covered in the thread i gave the link to, so i am going to skip it here. from the types of printed products mentioned (Book Publishing, Catalogs, Manuals and Social Event material), just think what is the probability that the smearing could really occur (are the users going to touch or even scratch the printed pages? in text parts this would not been an issue at all) or bother the users (this I can imagine, although not see very likely in the case of the social events materials). anyway, you really should get those samples for yourself.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back