Odystar v PowerSwitch

Hi all workflow guru's out there.
I have worked with both products and have my own views on this, but would be interested on what you guys deem as the best workflow of the 2 ... and why. The workflow would be used in a brochure publication environment to create print ready pdf's, e-brochures and would support JDF integration from a Prism MIS. No high end print output requirements for trapping, col mgmt. etc.
Odystar used to be my first choice (mainly down to the fantastic support AWS offered), but I think the gap has narrowed considerably.
Interested to hear your thoughts ...

Hi all workflow guru's out there.
I have worked with both products and have my own views on this, but would be interested on what you guys deem as the best workflow of the 2 ... and why. The workflow would be used in a brochure publication environment to create print ready pdf's, e-brochures and would support JDF integration from a Prism MIS. No high end print output requirements for trapping, col mgmt. etc.
Odystar used to be my first choice (mainly down to the fantastic support AWS offered), but I think the gap has narrowed considerably.
Interested to hear your thoughts ...

I had the pleasure to check out both products.

Odystar is a mid-range workflow system that allows you to do file receival, routing, preflight (using Enfocus technology) and output targeted processing (trapping, step & repeat, RIPping, Color Managemet). It has a client server based module called the Shuttle and comes in different flavors.
It has a great UI that allows a mid-range operator to set up the flows. Things to think about: It's Mac based and it has the price of a mid-range workflow system.
Find out more? Packaging and printing pre-production solutions - EskoArtwork

PowerSwitch is a workflow product which can perform must of the stuff I just mentioned for Odystar. Nevertheless, it is targeted more towards the publishing market. That doesn't mean printing companies could still find this product interesting as well.
Very neat features are:
- File processing based on document variables and metadata (JDF, XML, XMP, etc.). I'm talking about file routing, preflighting, sending email notifications
- The pricing! You have a PowerSwitch for 7K.
- Windows an Mac based
- Client-server with the SwitchClient
- The number of 3rd party applications (Enfocus, Callas, PerfectProof, Alwan, Elpical, Adobe Creative Suite)
The possibilities are endless... (scripting knowledge is a definite +)
Find out more? www.enfocus.com

Can I just point out that Enfocus and EskoArtwork are all one company.

Odystar also supports JDF, XMP and has MIS integration. It also can integrate with Preps and Dynastrip for you impositions. You can use Applescripts and thus integrate other applications into your workflow. It ca nalso send emails FTP files etc.

If you like Odystar is the big brother to Powerswitch it will do what Powerswitch does and then more. As it is modular you can add other bits later as the need arrises, unlike Powerswitch which if you find you what trapping or Rip later then you need to look at another product.

Also I think as you mentioned support is good with EskoArtwork with calling the support line and getting a call back were Enfocus support is via the web.

Like I said which ever you choose they are ultimately the same company even though sales and support are operated separately.

Odystar JDF Integration

Odystar JDF Integration

Prism is sending JDF to Odystar in a UK installation (Adare in Leeds) in a production environment so this would be worth a look at. You have to be careful to separate the sales pitch from production reality with JDF integration as the development costs can be high!

MarkF....

Not yet it can't. No, Enfocus/Esko isn't doing anything that I know about, nor would I say so ;) I have other plans in the works though...

There are automated workflows and then there is an automated workflow. Odystar is a an automated workflow in that RIP, trap, impose, output, proof etc. all happen in one "device" if you will. PowerSWITCH automates much of the *rest* of the workflow. You know, the parts BEFORE the RIP where a lot manual touching occurs. Different products for different purposes. Together PowerSWITCH and a "integrated workflow" like Odystar, Prinergy, RAMPage, Brisque, TrueFlow, etc is a very potent combination.

Automated workflows are much bigger than what a RIP can do.

I agree with Matt,

PowerSwitch is great solution for linking different parts of your workflow together where you would normally need to do manual actions. But it does not include a RIP, imposition module, trapping, ....
That is where you need Odystar or a different "integrated workflow".

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back