Offset Lithography - Is it more MECHANICAL or CHEMICAL?

D Ink Man

Let the debate begin.

I understand both are part, but which is the most significant to the process?

Let's say as compared to Letterpress, Gravure, Flexography, Intaglio, Digital Ink Jet and for giggles we'll include the great fantasy of Nanography.

MECHANICAL or CHEMICAL? Let's break this down. Thank you in advance for all your inputs.

I feel there is no absolute right or wrong answer here.

Please opinionate.

D Ink Man

Let the debate begin.

Let's say as compared to Letterpress, Gravure, Flexography, Intaglio, Digital Ink Jet and for giggles we'll include the great fantasy of Nanography.

MECHANICAL or CHEMICAL? Let's break this down. Thank you in advance for all your inputs.

Please opinionate.

D Ink Man

I don't think there's a debate. Offset printing is a mechanical process. There are no chemical reactions that change the structure of product molecules.

I don't think there's a debate. Offset printing is a mechanical process. There are no chemical reactions that change the structure of product molecules.

All the major consumables that are run in offset are products of chemistry.

No matter how good the mechanics are with the process, you will be up ****'s creek without good chemistry.

The printing inks, fountain solutions, plate composition are integral players in the CHEMISTRY part of the process.

Unlike the other printing processes, the inks chemistry marriage with the oil/water phase is of most importance. If it is unproper you will print smudge. Same as with fount and chemistry nature of the plate. All intertwined to produce the BEST reproductions known to man to date.

So I beg to differ.

Let the debate continue, if approved by Mr. Pritchard and of course Lassie who has not interjected yet, but most certainly will. EuReIKa!!!!!

D Ink Man

The most important Registration is mechanical.
Paper Handling is mechanical,
Offset printing has both impacts chemical and mechanical,
You cant say it is mechanical or chemical. !
Why this debate is necessary?

Let the debate begin.

Please opinionate.

D Ink Man

IMO, it is mostly mechanical. Even the so called chemical aspect is governed by physical chemical properties and not chemical reactions. At least to the point of putting the ink on the paper. The drying part of the process will surely have chemical reactions.

If one looks at waterless offset, where there is no water used, there are basically the same issues of consistency but they are not as severe. The physical chemistry of the ink and the silicone surface of the non image area of the plate are very important but I would not say that it is a chemical process because there are no chemical reactions but there are physical conditions. It is well known in waterless printing that if there is a variation in temperature control of the ink fountain roller, that will cause density variation. That is a mechanical problem.

I can accept that people will call physical chemical issues as being in the field of chemistry and of course it is at fundamental levels. But dealing with forces resulting in physical chemical conditions can also be viewed as mechanical. I tend to view physical chemical properties as being mechanical. It is just my perspective based on my particular education in mechanical engineering. Mechanical engineering is not about machines. The term mechanical is much broader than machine design. Mechanical is used to describe the transfer of energy from one form to another.

It really does not matter to me how most people view the process so I comment and don't want to debate. What I am interested in are solutions to problems. If people view a problem in the wrong context, then there is less likelihood that they will come to a fundamental and practical solution. Viewing offset lithography as a chemical process for the last hundred years has resulted in many fundamental problems not being solved. Problems that are fairly easily solved when the mechanical issues are corrected.

Chemistry is very important in developing the inks and fountain solutions for this process but chemistry is also important in developing materials for many other processes that people do not think of as chemical processes. Just because chemistry is used to develop the materials does not mean the processes are chemical processes.

The debate can be interesting but it is not so important. What is important are solutions to problems. I solved the ink water balance problem related to density control a long time ago but the continued belief that the process is a chemical process makes it hard for people to think that a simple mechanical explanation could be true.

I hope you get lots of discussion but this will be my only comment. I have made too many comments over the years already. :)

Ira Rubel

Ira Rubel

Hello fellow Lithographers,

Ira Rubel's and Casper Hermanns invention of the Lithographic Offset Printing Press,

made Lithography possible and photolithography made it practical - together they

account for todays most dominant printing process.

Regards, Alois

All the major consumables that are run in offset are products of chemistry.

No matter how good the mechanics are with the process, you will be up ****'s creek without good chemistry.

The printing inks, fountain solutions, plate composition are integral players in the CHEMISTRY part of the process.

Unlike the other printing processes, the inks chemistry marriage with the oil/water phase is of most importance. If it is unproper you will print smudge. Same as with fount and chemistry nature of the plate. All intertwined to produce the BEST reproductions known to man to date.

So I beg to differ.

Let the debate continue, if approved by Mr. Pritchard and of course Lassie who has not interjected yet, but most certainly will. EuReIKa!!!!!

D Ink Man

Ink water balance is not a chemical reaction unless you change the definition of what a chemical process is.

Fundamentals

Fundamentals

Hello fellow lithographers and Gordo,

Ink/Water Balance.

In lithography when we say achieving the correct - Ink/Water Balance, we are not

trying to make a Chemical Reaction, but trying to get two chemical subsances

form a - Stable Micro Emulsion.

Definition, Substances consisting of very fine droplets of one liquid dispersed

in a second liquid are known as - Emulsions

Oxidation/Polymerization.

As the ink layer absorbs osygen, the molecules of ink begin to cross-link(polymerize)

and bind together changing from liquid to a solid.

Regards, Alois

Gentlemen,

"From knowledge to competence is a great step --- from ignorance to competence

an even greater one "

Regards, Alois

So Gordo and perhaps EuReIKa,

What Alois has astutely pronounced here is that in fact there is CHEMISTRY going on in the lithographic process.

In many ways he has demonstratively revealed reactions that do take place to provide education and cherished insight of the on goings of offset.

I do strongly believe that this proclamation laid before all of us today garners more debate and opinionating into the posted subject, my dearly beloved.

Don't you think?

D Ink Man

Whew, it's going to get deep in this one.
The transport of the substrate and the rotation of the rollers and cylinders is, of course, mechanical.
A chemical reaction is not necessary for a process to be a non-mechanical one though and I think the workings of the lithographic process are best described as the exploitation of disparate surface energies on the plate by fluids of widely differing surface tension (ink and fountain solution). In my view this is chemical.
Chemistry has mechanics of its own so this is likely a semantic question at its core.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back