offset media with inkjet printing

Gramshi

is it possible the print commercial coated and/or uncoated offset media with inkjet printer?
have anyone any experiment on this situation?

i try epson 7880 printer with ultrachrome vm ink but it's looks impossible.

Last edited:
It will not work and is not worth trashing your printer over. The newspaper market is a different story. Stick to a media that best simulates your press stock as there are plenty of them out there.

We have run some uncoated sheets, but most often they do not dry well. We have a spray booth and hit them with printshield and they are ok. We'll only do this with prints that do not require exact color, as testing and profiling is not usually worth it.

I would not run coated sheets ever.

UV printers (usually) do not have the resolution to satisfy a quality-minded client.

Not to give away my tricks too easily, but we have been known to utilize the UV source in conjunction with our printer to speed drying.

I have been wondering the same thing myself. I have been testing various papers over the last few months trying to find which papers I can print using my inkjet. Here is some of the paper I have tested

Sappi McCoy Silk 130lb Cover,
Sappi Opus Dull Cover 120lb
Sappi Opus Dull Text 100lb
Sappi Opus Gloss Cover 120lb

These have been printed on 12 x 18 in sheets, and so far the quality has been hit or miss. I think that if I was using a RIP that could regulate the amount of ink sprayed it would work great. The Opus cover prints nice using the ICC profie for Epson premium presentation paper. But I am still working on testing all the different profiles etc, to see what works best. The McCoy Silk is pretty decent in terms of print quality also, depending on the amount of ink needed for the image, it can come out saturated. But I have printed many of business cards usings letter size sheets of McCoy Silk and they have come out great (double sided prints also).

I like to print on double sided media all the time. Finding an inkjet paper from epson, hp, etc. that has great whiteness and texture qualities and be printed on both sides is tough. I have tried most papers, so that is why i started testing commercial sheet fed papers on the inkjet. I have also found that using those same papers print very well on cheap HP printers from Office Depot using the stock profiles. The dye based ink on HPs seem to meld better to the paper.

I forgot to add I am printing using an Epson R1800. I plan to buy an epson 7880 (using jon cone inks) or hp z2100 so we can print larger on these sappi papers.

Meddington... I checked those links out and plan to email the companies. thx for those.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back