Offset to Large Format prepress transitioning

photoshopdude

Hello all,
I recently transitioned from 25 years in offset prepress to large format prepress and I found it very challenging . One of the big challenges was adapting to the variances in project sizes, which are so inconsistent and all over the place compared to offset where page sizes are pretty standard (8.5 x 11, 11 x 14, 11 x 17..etc). With large format prepress comes the fun of tiling and scaling either at the rip or manually in illustrator, it was very rare that a job came in at the correct size for the application it was intended. I think most customers sent in art with the "you figure it out and make it work" mentality, while the CSR's who create the job tickets don't have a clue as to what is involved in the job, which made for a total chaotic environment.
Was using Caldera rip and although it is impressive in scope and capability, I missed the simplicity of a Prinergy rip for offset.
I'm curious if any other offset prepress techs out there have experienced the same frustration if they made the switch?

Never used Caldera but in my experience with Fiery XF and Onyx rips you need some software on the front end to setup these jobs efficiently. Illustrator is very flexible but lacking in automation. You should be looking at something like i-cut layout from Esko or Imp to setup your layouts. I currently do both in addition to all our digital work. You find that if the customer is spending money on a longer offset run they pay more attention to how its setup e.g. a professional designer sets most of it up. On shorter digital and large format runs you get a lot of projects that someone’s niece setup.

Our addition of wide format and transition has been interesting. Customer: Ned sign for the window. Me: Need exact size. Customer: Why? Very few customers who came from offset, who understand the industry and file formats for the project.

Never used Caldera but in my experience with Fiery XF and Onyx rips you need some software on the front end to setup these jobs efficiently. Illustrator is very flexible but lacking in automation. You should be looking at something like i-cut layout from Esko or Imp to setup your layouts. I currently do both in addition to all our digital work. You find that if the customer is spending money on a longer offset run they pay more attention to how its setup e.g. a professional designer sets most of it up. On shorter digital and large format runs you get a lot of projects that someone’s niece setup.
Look at Imp software - Highly evolved ganging engine. Gang thousand of jobs of varying sizes, copies in one go without need of sorting and zero overruns. Visit www.insoftautomation.com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back