OKI 9431 alternatives more suited for our business

@Frankicks since you indicated you'll be installing a machine at your home, ensure your chosen machine will fit doors & passageways etc. The engine will be the bulkiest component and is 800mm wide x 903mm deep. In the CED, KM specify allowing 1,000mm to the rear, 500mm to the left and 800mm to the right for service access. We are tight for space in our shop and our C4080 has about half those requirements, although we can move a cabinet that sits to the left of the machine for anything major, should the need arise.

We have decided to go with the Konica Minolta C4065. We settled on 5.5 cents per click which we are happy with.

Now that we have the printer, we need one more essential machine: a paper cutter. Do you have any recommendations in the < $3000 range? Electric and durable are very important factors for us.
We will mostly cut A3 sheets.

Do you have any recommendations in the < $3000 range?
You're not going to find a new electric/hydraulic guillotine cutter for less than $3,000. If that's your budget, you need to look at used units. Just make sure the supplier can calibrate the back gauge after delivery for you, and that you start off with a new blade (or at least a sharpened blade) and a fresh cutting stick.

Ideally, you'll want a programmable cutter where you can just type the measurement into a touch screen or keypad and the back gauge automatically moves to the proper position. However, at your budget, you may end up with a manual back gauge. Many of us used those for years successfully before most cutters went to programmable, so you can still get by just fine...it just takes a little longer and the cuts won't be as perfect/consistent.

Last edited:
Hi @jwheeler

I appreciate your reply. We will look at used units. Preferably we buy something for the long term, but that might be difficult with our budget.
I've been seeing a lot of used Ideal/Eba machines here that seem to have programmable measurements.

If we would extend our budget, what would be the brands and units to look for?

I've been seeing a lot of used Ideal/Eba machines here that seem to have programmable measurements.
I'd recommend them. We have an Ideal 4850-95EP, bought refurbished in 2019. It has capacity for 99 programs.
Ideal and EBA are essentially the same machines, different badge.
It's a nice little knife, small footprint and can cut SRA2 in half - useful for greyboard and C1S.
The only one issue we've had was in the very early days when it needed a new keypad.
Just a tip - keep a manual/excel record of your program steps in case you lose the keypad. Should you ever need to reprogram them, it's much quicker if you have a print of them, versus recalculating them from scratch.
If you're cutting coated stocks, I'd recommend getting a magnetic foam pad, which prevents the clamp pattern being stamped onto the top few sheets.
We bought ours from a local dealer who also services it and does the blade changes.

EBA cutters are built very well. I bought a used EBA 550 about 27 years ago (manufactured in the early 80’s) and it still runs well. Power clamp, power back gauge but not programmable. Having a cutter that is programmable can be a time saver but if it means the extra cost is stretching the budget, I wouldn’t hesitate to get one without it.

@Ynot_UK Thanks for all the info and tips! We will cut coated paper, so the foam pad will be a good addon.

What did you pay for your refurbished 4850-95EP?

20240723_173041.jpg

I've spoken to a second-hand dealer and he can offer me this machine for 3750 euro (before negotiating)
The machine is from 2008 and has programmable features. It seems reasonable, but before making the 100km drive, I'd like to make sure the machine fits what we're looking for

View attachment 293047

I've spoken to a second-hand dealer and he can offer me this machine for 3750 euro (before negotiating)
The machine is from 2008 and has programmable features. It seems reasonable, but before making the 100km drive, I'd like to make sure the machine fits what we're looking for
If I had the space I would be all over that for the money. You can't go wrong at that price.

View attachment 293047

That’s an excellent cutter for that price. You even got an air table and safety beams on there!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back