Open an Esko .tif in Photoshop??

Brad38CMU

I've received stepped, bitmapped tifs from one of my separators and when I open the tif in photoshop it is blank. The file size is about 10MB, which is tiny. I can open up the tif in the Preview.app and I am able to view the file. But obviously, Preview doesn't do me any good if I need to make changes to the file. I believe these tifs are a product of an Esko workflow and my separator refuses to alter the files to get them to open in Photoshop.

Does anyone have any idea of what I need to do to these files so I can open and edit them in Photoshop?

Just a guess, but did you try to save the file out of preview as a tiff with no compression... then open it in photoshop?

Yes. It was working for me for about a week. Now when I try to do this in Preview I simply get an error that says it 'cannot be saved'. I tried this route on three different workstations, with multiple files, all ending in the same result. Starting to get frustrated...

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm guessing that they don't WANT you to be able to alter their file, thus sending it in tiff format. You can drag it or place it into Artpro, but not sure that will be any advantage to you.

Esko photoshop tiff ct

Esko photoshop tiff ct

Go to the Esko web site. There is a free download of a photoshop plugin that will allow you to open and save back Esko cts and tiffs.

Your TIFF's have probably been saved with a G4-compression. Photoshop doesn't understand this compression.

Yes. This is correct. If they are 1-bit TIFFs, photoshop used to be only able to open G3 Compressed and then it couldn't save them back as G3 compressed. On top of this, there was a maximum pixel limit which stopped you opening anything bigger than about A5 size. I think the limit is a lot higher now but no G4 compression. It is strange that G4 compression is integral to PDF compression, photoshop reads any PDFs yet does not read G4 TIFFs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back