OPI Solutions

AHA!, if you have prinergy, why not just have the other plant send you 1 Hi rez and YOU step and repeat it with PREPS? We use prinergy Evo w preps. PDF or postscript or eps to Prinergy then refine and paginate, do repeats with preps, Imposition (JDF) to output device. Prinergy's refined masters erally cut down on the file size/ processing time.

Advanced Sampler from Cyan Soft

Advanced Sampler from Cyan Soft

Hi Bill,

We have been using "Advanced Sampler 4.1" from Cyan Soft successfully on our Prinergy Evo 4 server for the last couple of months. As Prinergy is doing the LoRes - HiRes swap, this will serve your purpose.

Here is the link:

Advanced Sampler is a very fast OPI downsampler

Set up is not the easiest I have seen, but once set (it runs on the Evo Server) it runs smoothly without much load on the processor. We mainly use it to create composite PDF files from DCS 2 images that contain CMYK+Spot colors.

At only fraction of the cost of a full blown OPI solution, this seems to be the answer to all Prinergy users. I wish someday Kodak integrates this Sampling functionality into the very core of Prinergy server.

Best regards,

Refik Telhan
OFSET YAPIMEVi
Istanbul, Turkey

Am I missing something? Why not "Omit for OPI" when printing?

Yes, you are assuming we are all using Quark/Indesign. Illustrator does not support OPI like these and for a more packaging workflow, Illustrator rules the roost. Also, omit for OPI is fine on a good local network but sometimes OPI is useful for remote working or working over VPN connections but only when lo-res versions are available to save transfer times. We have an studio in Prague and we use sample files for them to work on doing artworking. In the event they have to copy original hi-res, it makes the job unworkable.

As an aside, we are still using Colorcentral sampler. I did download a trial of the Advanced Sampler but had problems with it on certain files - I think it was DCS2 files with clipping paths. Couldn't get a decent screen preview sample file I seem to remember. It did seem quick though.

Thank you Refik, I read about Advanced Sampler a while ago, but I guess I am just being greedy in wanting a solution that would run on a MAC. I will definitely download the trial version and compare it to the PC version of Sampler I received from Kodak.

Thank you alang66 for your understanding of the challenge we have in the label business and your feedback regarding your experience with Advanced Sampler.

David, we feel that each satellite plants needs to be responsible for their own trapping, and imposition as each plant has unique requirements in terms of trapping and imposition marks. There has been discussion of hub and spoke configurations in our corporation (we have 6 plants from California to Connecticut), but our present configuration seems to be the best for now.

-Bill-

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back