Optimal PDF settings for Onyx RIP and detecting problematic pdf files

mspray

We have the Onyx Rip 7.1 (Postershop and ProductionHouse) connected to HPZ6100/HP5500 and Seiko64S Plotters, but we seem to encounter a lot of weirdly generated pdfs from customers. Printed results will be pink boxes around random images, yellow text instead of black, random things falling out :)

So far after advise from an Adobe trainer we have been getting the customers to supply them with the transparencies live in the pdf, in version 7 format. And using the export command to pdf from Indesign or Illustrator. I would like to find out what other people find works best for them as I am thinking this is not the ideal way of suppling files.

Also how do you guys check pdf files to make sure they are correct to your standard? Do you use the built in Preflight tool in acrobat or do you use Pitstop or something similiar?

So far as a trial I am getting the technicians to load the pdf in Acrobat Professional, use the preflight tool to check for transparenices or ICC embedded profiles (as these both give us grief) then they print from Acrobat into the RIP. They then check the preflight preview in Onyx where Acrobat showed the problem and if neccesary as a last resort will rasterise the file in Adobe Photoshop to a tif file.

Re: Optimal PDF settings for Onyx RIP and detecting problematic pdf files

Mark

There are a number of problems with how v7.1 deals with PDFs & Pantones - I recognise several of your points above as issues resulting from this.

I am Beta testing 7.2 which is due for launch in July and it is much better at handling PDFs - don't make any permanent changes to your workflow until you get hold of it.

As a workaround you can save as an EPS or try not to overlap pantones until the new version is here. Make sure transparencies, CCADL and overprinting is switched on in the RIP.

Re: Optimal PDF settings for Onyx RIP and detecting problematic pdf files

Mark

There are a number of problems with how v7.1 deals with PDFs & Pantones - I recognise several of your points above as issues resulting from this.

I am Beta testing 7.2 which is due for launch in July and it is much better at handling PDFs - don't make any permanent changes to your workflow until you get hold of it.

As a workaround you can save as an EPS or try not to overlap pantones until the new version is here. Make sure transparencies, CCADL and overprinting is switched on in the RIP.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back