Options for high volume tab printing

bencr

Hi there,

I work in a legal environment where we have to print A4 and A5 binders which contain b/w and colour legal documents, which are then separated by divider tabs containing numbers and text.

Currently we have three office multifunction machines (KM C754e, with Fiery IC-414 onboard controllers). The machines are used for general office printing and also for printing the contents of legal binders with printed tabs inserted between documents. For the tab workflow we use Fiery Jobmaster.

Essentially the machines are not really fast enough for what we want them to do. We're not printing binders every day, but when we are, it's not uncommon for the machines to be printing pretty much constantly for most of the day. The binders typically have anywhere from 100 to 700 pages per volume, with anything up to 100 tabs per binder, and we typically are printing multiple sets of each volume (typically up to ten sets per volume).

Also, the C754e machines cannot print onto A5 tabs, and can only print onto tabs from the bypass tray, meaning we have to top them up every 70 tabs - which is a major PITA.

So, we are exploring the idea of getting a centralised machine which would print these documents at a much faster speed. So the requirements are: automated tab creation (such as Fiery Jobmaster), ability to print onto blank tabs (both a4 and A5), print in both black and white and colour, and to do so significantly faster than our current machines. And also to have the ability to print from a full tray of tabs, and not just the bypass tray.

I don't think we're able to go for a full size huge production machine - but I was wondering if there was a happy medium in between the two.. I have heard the term "light production machine" mentioned, and I would be very grateful if anyone has any recommendations in terms of machines that can meet our needs. It's very difficult trying to find resources online about tab printing!! It's quite a boring subject for most!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back