Order Assignment Workflow Suggestions

Newbie member here.

I worked pre-press for 3D hologram lenticular for 6 years......... last 4 yrs I work production in print shop (pad, screen, laser etch, subs, 4CP , DTG, etc.)

New company I work for assign orders on daily. Orders are assigned using a Microsoft Access. My problem is that if Order entry was too busy eating donuts and an order did not get assigned to me, they will assign the order up to 3 days later and will put the original (3 days earlier date).

Then Sales and VPs will ask why order has been on my queue for so long.... I finally started printing out my end day reports the following day to keep records and just in case the sneaky OER's try to slip one by past me.

I have brought up valid points that it is difficult and time consuming to figure out what is on my workload, what has been completed, etc.

Can you guys suggest a software or program that does this? We also use SAGE ERP 100 for our order entry, pick slips, invoice, etc.

There has to be a quick and easier way to easily pull up all in house orders and see the status.

The other problem with this Access is that if the date is entered incorrect, then the order will completely disappear from out reports.

Any suggestions?? Btw I have been here 4 years and time for changes..

There is a disconnect. Orders are entered into Access, which is a separate database program than the SAGE ERP/MIS system used for the rest of the workflow.

Why can’t the ERP/MIS be used for order entry? If there must be two systems, can SAGE pull in data from the Access database?

As for suggesting alternative software, we have swapped out many lesser/non-performing systems with a more capable MIS system – Accura (shameless vendor plug).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
orders are entered into SAGE and I have to go in Access to print or pull my report. This means sorting through a 150 page report for the last 20 days.
Once I know what page my order assignment is (i.e, pages 50 - 52 for May 6) Then I print the report which I work off.

It would be nice to have a software that showed my name - orders assigned - order completed - orders proofed - proof pending - Ready for plating - completed - need revised... etc.

Thanks for suggesting Accura - I see their mainly in UK. I talked to VP and asked to have them send info... which means I requested a call back from their sales staff.

THANKS AGAIN STEPHEN/.

Attachments

• order tracking.JPG
    order tracking.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 189
You just need some custom queries to pull only the data you need rather than a general report to sift through.

orders are entered into SAGE and I have to go in Access to print or pull my report. This means sorting through a 150 page report for the last 20 days.
Once I know what page my order assignment is (i.e, pages 50 - 52 for May 6) Then I print the report which I work off.

It would be nice to have a software that showed my name - orders assigned - order completed - orders proofed - proof pending - Ready for plating - completed - need revised... etc.

Thanks for suggesting Accura - I see their mainly in UK. I talked to VP and asked to have them send info... which means I requested a call back from their sales staff.

THANKS AGAIN STEPHEN/.

Thanks for clearing that up. OK so you just view things in Access, pulling in info from the SAGE system… Are you saying that there are no production related options for the SAGE system where you can use the program’s GUI to view jobs and filter/sort them? No built in reports with filters or sorting? Why do you have to use Access at all?

My expectation from the Accura MIS is that the MIS/ERP should have “windows/dashboards” where one can see and filter information live, as well as have the ability to run standard and custom reports created within the MIS software or using an SQL query through an ODBC link to Excel, Crystal Reports, Access etc.

If you are on support contract with your ERP provider, open up a ticket. If you need training to gain greater efficiencies, then you should be able to make your case to management. If you need custom reports setup in SAGE or Access, then this could possibly be done in-house or by your ERP provider.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back